Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All About Guns (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   can a wong ONO thak a 3/8 shaft? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=105093)

saltierdog 05-21-2010 11:43 AM

can a wong ONO thak a 3/8 shaft?

anyone ever try putting a 3/8 shaft in the ono?

tuffstuff 05-21-2010 11:54 AM

Re: can a wong ONO thak a 3/8 shaft?

pretty sure its cut for a 5/16th...I would call daryl and see if he can help you out..

saltierdog 05-21-2010 11:58 AM

I gues daryl is up early today
just got this message from him

Aloha Joe,

No, the track is too tight. An 11/32 might fit real tight but work. I would suggest trying the new 8mm coated spring steel shafts I have. They are twice as stiff as a SS shaft. They'll bend less than a similar sized or bigger Stainless shaft. In the future, these new shafts will replace Stainless shafts on the market. When I use up all my stainless stock, I'll only be using these new shafts. They are that much better in performance.

Aloha,Daryl

Daryl Wong 05-21-2010 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Aloha Joe,

The track will be too tight and small for the bigger 3/8 shaft. Also the ono gun was ballasted for the 5/16 so there will be more recoil and the gun will be heavier.
Instead, look into the new 8mm coated steel shafts. These shafts are exponentially harder than any Stainless shaft on the market. For instance...
Riffe shafts or other similar 17-4 H 900 shafts are only 38-40 Rockwell while the spring steel shafts are 51 Rockwell. Thats like comparing a 4.5 earthquake to a 7.5 richter earthquake.
These coated shafts will bend less, shoot straighter with less whip. Tips won't dull and best of all these shafts are much less in price vs a Stainless shaft.

Because these shafts are so hard and stiff, you can also go down in size and still have a stiffer harder shaft than a bigger stainless shaft.
A 7.5mm shaft which is just smaller in diameter than a 5/16 shaft (7.9mm) is much stiffer and hence you can sub the bigger shaft out to get a shaft that is stronger and stiffer. And because of the weight difference, less recoil.

Shafts like these are also perfect for Freeshafting. They will shoot straighter and farther. Dan Mcmahon one of the best commercial freeshafters in Florida uses spring steel shafts.

I would not be surprised to see these types of shafts replacing Stainless shafts in the future. Better performance at a better cost. Check them out on my website. It took me four years to develop these shafts.

Aloha,Daryl

Mr Paul 05-21-2010 01:13 PM

Daryl, i see 8mm on your website, i think that is pretty close to 5/16...but do you sell a 11/32 shaft with an 11/32 spectra slip tip?

fishnstix 05-21-2010 07:08 PM

i think the 11/32" is a mori concotion.

i know the current WR was shot with a 5/16" ono setup, but i'd wanna punch those tunas with something a bit heavier -- 3/8 or even 1/2". joe, you'll probably have to order a new ono gun, with a custom sized track, to punch those fish with that extra "thunk." just another excuse for a new gun.

Scott Diego 05-21-2010 07:45 PM

My Wong ONO is my new favorite gun... But I have yet to find something thick enough that demands that 3/8 shaft. Would 4 5/8 bands give that thing enough reach with the added mass for 'blue water'?

(I am not sure if 5 5/8 bands will fit in the alexander muzzle - I guess you could jam them in there with a little lube)

fishnstix 05-21-2010 10:02 PM

"if no fit, use spit"

Daryl Wong 05-22-2010 12:15 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Aloha Paul, Corey,

I don't carry the 11/32 shaft. 8mm is only sightly bigger than 7.9mm which is a 5/16 shaft.
The slip tips I have are made form either a 9/32 stock stainless or 5/16 stainless.
I know its been debated over and over about punching power, etc. The fact is 5/16 is plenty. From diving out at the Revelligegodos for over 10 years I came to the conclusion that yes a 3/8 shaft is nice and hits and punches through tuna, but so does a 5/16 shaft too. I first downsized to an 11/32 shaft and used that for a while, but still the 5/16 shaft did just as well and I didn't have to lug around a big 18lb tuna gun. Try swimming in the current for a few hours in front of Roca Partida with a big tuna gun and you'll figure it out.

Any size shaft will do the job as long as you know your gun and its killing range. All the tuna I have shot in the last six years were taken with a 5/16 shaft. With the right gun set up you can take down pretty much any fish out there without having to use a big shaft. So far to my knowledge, the Tuna men's and women, men's black marlin and striped marlin were all taken with a 5/16 shaft . Same with the 5/16 slip tips. One thing about slip tips. Use any tip you want, but make sure it has cable.

Its easier to travel with the lighter shaft and its also much cheaper. I could make a gun that can shoot 35ft or more shooting a 1/2 shaft and 8-10 bands, but why? A tuna that far looks small. The thrill is shooting tuna when you can see its eyes turning to look at you and seeing the little finlets moving back and forth as the tuna swims. Thats hunting.

My buddy Claude shot and strung a tuna from 20ft. Took us forever to bring it in. It was 251lbs and shot at an angle downward. I went clean though and ended up on the shooting cable.
In the end, use the shaft size and gun that you think will work best for you. Just hunt responsibly. There is a limit to size and power needed to shoot tunas. It will differ according to the diver.

Hope you guys can get out and blast some tunas!

Heres a few fish shot with a 5/16 shaft.

Aloha, Daryl