Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   cooking Amberjack (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=25339)

hman 01-24-2006 09:28 PM

cooking Amberjack

A friend of mine Emailed me and wanted to know the best way to prepare and cook amberjack. Any fishy Gourmet chefs out there? :confused:

100days-a-year 01-24-2006 09:35 PM

Re: cooking Amberjack

See my recipe for spadefish in recipes.

Speargun 01-24-2006 09:39 PM

Cut into 1" squares
put a single layer in a cassarole pan
cover with Marzettis Slaw Dressing
bake at 350* until the dressing bubbles (about 15 minutes or so)
broil for an additional 5 - 10 minutes until top begins to brown
ENJOY!

Optional:
Cover with shredded cheese before broiling.

TriggerFish 01-24-2006 09:47 PM

Marinate steak in 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup of soy sauce for approx. 20min. Then grill med low heat until done. Remove from heat when it looks like it needs another three min. Fresh Rosemary Herb in the marinade is also very good.

Blind Squirrel 01-24-2006 09:52 PM

Start off with bleeding, gutting and icing fish well while on water. Cut yourself a pice of filet and marinate overnite in mojo. Slap on VERY hot grill flesh side down until grill marked, flip and finish skin side down on medium heat with lid closed. Tasty.

AJ doesn't do well when poorly treated. Gets really fishy. Keep whole on ice, but not frozen, as long as possible. Keep air away also. After fileting, vacuum pack and ice bath, or ziploc and burp all air before ice bath. Doesn't freeze well.

hman 01-24-2006 10:18 PM

I'm new to spearboard. I hadn't found the recipete thread yet. Thanx

Capt.Gene 01-27-2006 12:08 AM

Salt,pepper,olive oil the aj and bake in a paper grocery bag for 20 minutes at 325F.
Throw out the fish and eat the paper bag.

The Collector 01-27-2006 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.Gene
Salt,pepper,olive oil the aj and bake in a paper grocery bag for 20 minutes at 325F.
Throw out the fish and eat the paper bag.

:lol: :lol:
I filet and cut into meal size and vacum bag. Every 2-4 weeks I overnight a pack to my mom. She is landlocked and thinks it is the best fish she ever had. 1 AJ lasts about 4 months.

23six 01-27-2006 01:39 AM

For those who think you can't eat it or don't want to eat it...why do you suppose there is a tight limit on them? Because they've been hunted down for their food quality when the snappers thinned out (like everything else). Don't be surprised if the snapper you order at an "average" or "questionable" restaurant is AJ or Cuda.

Nsearch 01-27-2006 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Squirrel
Start off with bleeding, gutting and icing fish well while on water. Cut yourself a pice of filet and marinate overnite in mojo. Slap on VERY hot grill flesh side down until grill marked, flip and finish skin side down on medium heat with lid closed. Tasty.

AJ doesn't do well when poorly treated. Gets really fishy. Keep whole on ice, but not frozen, as long as possible. Keep air away also. After fileting, vacuum pack and ice bath, or ziploc and burp all air before ice bath. Doesn't freeze well.

Sean.......could you explain a little more about the "ice bath"? Normally when I keep AJ to eat I do all the above (gut, bleed, ice) and then typically fillet the fish when I get in and vacuum pack it and throw it in the freezer if I'm not eating it within the next day or so.

flounderer 01-27-2006 08:54 AM

I apologize if this has been discussed before but... Here in NC, AJ's are safe from the spear, for the most part. People say they are wormy to the point that not a lot of people keep them. We get a few that say just pull the worms out or just eat the shoulder but for the most part no one shoots them. Is this a rumor put out by the AJ's too save there ass or is it a problem everywhere or just here?

Pat

Nsearch 01-27-2006 09:14 AM

I've always viewed the worms as just extra protein :D Seriously though, the AJ's we shoot here in the Gulf are not typically full of worms. Yes, some do have them, mostly in the tail area, but that's never stopped me from eating them. I have heard that the worm issue is more prevalent with AJ's in the Atlantic.

Gradyman 01-27-2006 09:54 AM

Atlantic waters produce wormy AJ on almost every fish...smaller the better for "cleaner" fish. Worms were sent to Gainsnesville for testing by a local Capt I know well and there is no harmful effect if you can stomach the thought...most of the medium size (28 to 36 inches) have worms in the tail area only and they are very visable looking like cooked speghetti in size.

I cut (and inspect) the shoulder meat into 2inch steaks and grill in a fish basket (Lowes $9.95) while basting (sp?) with lemon, butter, garlic and our favorite seasonings. Turns out great if not overcooked...never had any body leave some on the plate!!!

inletsurf 01-27-2006 09:59 AM

I can assure you that the Gulf amberjacks are more than 10X cleaner than east coast amberjacks. I have shot numerous jacks on both coasts, and it amazes me when filleting them.

The gulf jacks are very clean. You will see some worms but its nothing that you can't cut out.

The east coast jacks, especially off of Brevard and Indian River counties are LOADED with worms. You have to cut the whole tail section off and throw it away. It is so loaded with worms usually, that I cannot understand how the fish is able to swim. The chest/center section is much better, and the sporadic worms in this area is easy to cut out and remove.

I prefer smoking them, but growing up in the panhandle as a kid, grilled fresh AJ sandwiches were one of my favorites.

Financial Advis 01-27-2006 10:21 AM

cut into 2-3 inch squares.
dry rub barbeque powder till they are toatlly covered
let sit overnight in fridge.
wrap in bacon and pin a sour orange slice on with the toothpick
grill on medium till just about done.

I got a lot more but this one is my fav of the year.

I also like to make a nice smoked aj dip

cut pieces into 2 inch squres after removing all red meat
soak in brown sugar water for 6 to 7 days
smoak on LOW heat for about 7 to 10 hours
mash it up with mayonaise for a nice texture
add chopped red pepper, yellow pepper red onion, and cilantro till it is nice and colorful (about the same mass as amberjack)

I think I get a good response from people who eat this.

Amberjack is a very underrated fish and in my opinion I will take it over grouper, red snap, cobia, and just about anything else except a 5-8 pound female hog. People who generally say they are terrible have never had them and on several trips I have cooked them and served them without telling the people what it was. Their response was generally "this grouper is awsome". You just have to learn to take care of it.