Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   Florida East Coast Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are moray eels good to eat? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=121488)

fishkillerjim 03-23-2011 01:42 AM

Are moray eels good to eat?

Has anyone ever harvested an eel? I have eaten just about everything in the ocean and Eels are something I have avoided... I was just watching something on TV and they caught a moray in a net and kept it to eat, so now Im wondering If they are good to eat? I would love to shoot one and try it. Just wondering If anyone has first hand experience in doing so?

What Ive heard,

1 They are poisonous.

2 They can contain cig.

3 They are hard to clean.

4 They taste bad.

Also are there any regulations?

Bulit7 03-23-2011 08:58 AM

Re: Are moray eels good to eat?

I shot a green one many moons ago. It was freakin huge.
I cleaned it and cooked it up. Taste was not bad but the damn thing had thousands of long thin bones all over its body.
Not worth the hassle. Plus they are too beautiful to look at!

From Force-E's facebook:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2015895_n.jpg

peterlim 03-23-2011 04:24 PM

if you are serious, PM me

donkeys4hire 03-23-2011 04:31 PM

I would rather eat a shoe.

ROCKHIND 03-23-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishkillerjim (Post 1398066)
Has anyone ever harvested an eel? I have eaten just about everything in the ocean and Eels are something I have avoided... I was just watching something on TV and they caught a moray in a net and kept it to eat, so now Im wondering If they are good to eat? I would love to shoot one and try it. Just wondering If anyone has first hand experience in doing so?

What Ive heard,

1 They are poisonous.

2 They can contain cig.

3 They are hard to clean.

4 They taste bad.

5 Very hard to kill/control

6 They can bite the Sh!t out of you!:D

Also are there any regulations?

Look up the Eel Thread in the Cali section I think.

North Star 03-23-2011 07:08 PM

Before you can eat one you have to kill it. They are amazingly hard to kill. I would skip it. Read some of the threads on killing them before you try it.

reef roamer 03-23-2011 07:12 PM

saw a friend shoot one by accident, missed the fish and shot the eel..........:eek:. it was like he just shot a big azz cobra snake, and when they got into mid water, omg......... the eel kept striking, looked like a very bad nightmare, eel was released with alot of finesse and was fine but very pissed off. nah, not for me, beans and rice will be fine, thank you very much..........

shcubasteve 03-23-2011 09:02 PM

I used to deliver food for a local Chinese restaurant and when I showed them picture of a big green one I caught hook-and-line they went nuts! I guess they REALLY like them and seriously asked me if I'd ever seen a drunken eel... Apparently, they feed it liquor before cooking it- not sure exactly why tho....

fishkillerjim 03-24-2011 01:01 AM

Ok... so I gotta get the eel drunk, Its going to be very hard to kill, Its gonna bite me, and Its not going be that great to eat...........Almost sounds like a girl I dated.

fishkillerjim 03-24-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishkillerjim (Post 1398833)
Ok... so I gotta get the eel drunk, Its going to be very hard to kill, Its gonna bite me, and Its not going be that great to eat...........Almost sounds like a girl I dated.

Ill let you know how it goes.

ameliahunter 03-24-2011 06:32 AM

with all the closures I wonder what else people will start hunting....toad fish anyone?

ROCKHIND 03-24-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

:lol:

shcubasteve 03-24-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

rotfflmao:thumps:

sacha58 03-24-2011 10:58 AM

Moray Eels are great to eat, as long as they do not have Ciguatera........check locally.....
Catch one, cut the head away, cut the tail away ( from the anus backwards ) peel the skin away ( the most difficult part ) then slice it in thin slices of about 1/4 of an inch. Pass them in flour and fry them until golden, salt and pepper, a little oregano and enjoy.
Throughout all the Med sea, they are eaten in many ways, fried, roasted, soups, stews Since the Roman age. :-)

amandanewell 03-24-2011 11:56 AM

haha this thread going good..

i've always wondered the same thing.

fishkillerjim...
:lol::lol::lol:

Anything is good fried !

let me know how it goes.. good luck:scratch: