Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All About Guns (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   15mm Small ID Rubber (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=194742)

Triton 08-24-2017 11:00 AM

15mm Small ID Rubber

I just received a batch of 15mm small ID gray/amber band material from Primeline. So far I'm very happy with how the run turned out. I had this done to fill a gap for myself and other using heavier shafts. I also wanted to get something just a tad bit larger so that it better fills out the muzzles and band holes, an annoying problem I had with the 14mm. So far, calipers have measured as small as 14.75mm, but average is right around 14.9mm

If anyone tests or uses them hunting please let me know what they think and leave some reviews. I'm curious to see what the consensus is. Personally I will starting with them cut at 350-360% and go from there.

15mm Small ID Gray/Amber

Manavie 08-24-2017 11:25 AM

Re: 15mm Small ID Rubber

Hey [emoji3]Was just looking at the same stuff from Benthic spearfishing store online. I was curious too. Also curious if their 14.5mm they advertise is Primline.

I ordered some 16mm from spearamerica for the same reason you speak of. Will be great to try it out and share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizzlestomp 08-24-2017 11:40 AM

Nice. I've been looking for rubber that size for some of my bigger guns. 16mm small ID rubber becomes unloadable for some guns at 360+% stretch. And there is a big difference between 16 and 14. 15mm is a nice middle ground.

Will be placing an order shortly.

Triton 08-24-2017 11:59 AM

Thanks Grizzle, much appreciated. Manavie, the 14mm black/amber small ID (which usually does and is currently running larger) is Primeline, 15mm gray small ID is Primeline, the other blue and green 14.5 small ID is Kent

TVA 08-24-2017 02:41 PM

Any plans to carry 18-19mm small ID rubber? I'm looking for a source to power a pulley gun.

spearq8 08-24-2017 06:16 PM

Nice! That is the sweet spot for larger shafts. I had a bunch that I hoarded that was around 14.7 or 14.8mm and was a match made in heaven with the 8.5mm shafts. It also handles soak time very well ... I used it in my 45min soak test loaded at 380% and did not notice a measurable loss of power after that time. I wouldn't use it for lighter shafts (like 7mm and lower) as even at 380% stretch I got less power than 360% stretch with 14mm small ID bands. I don't know the reason for that ... my guess is that there is a fine line where you need just enough rubber to move the shaft ... once you reach that any extra rubber is just extra luggage.

Castronova 08-24-2017 07:06 PM

Ordered this yesterday, will be for my personal guns only. Friends get whatever else I have:D. This should be perfect for the Abellan 120 with 8mm shaft. Thanks for supplying this!

kavachi 08-28-2017 06:23 PM

nice work Triton! kust gotta figure out how to get some delivered here!

kavachi 08-28-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearq8 (Post 2150626)
Nice! That is the sweet spot for larger shafts. I had a bunch that I hoarded that was around 14.7 or 14.8mm and was a match made in heaven with the 8.5mm shafts. It also handles soak time very well ... I used it in my 45min soak test loaded at 380% and did not notice a measurable loss of power after that time. I wouldn't use it for lighter shafts (like 7mm and lower) as even at 380% stretch I got less power than 360% stretch with 14mm small ID bands. I don't know the reason for that ... my guess is that there is a fine line where you need just enough rubber to move the shaft ... once you reach that any extra rubber is just extra luggage.

Majd, ignoring the variation in pull/power/recoil in SAME diameter Primeline batches, how do you find loading those rare [until now] ~14.8 @ 380% bands on a ~142 bandstretch Abellan, as compared ~14.5 @ 400%?
I had a batch of ~14.7s that were a bastard to load at ~380, but might've just been a denser batch. OR i was unfit ;)

spearq8 08-28-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavachi (Post 2151057)
Majd, ignoring the variation in pull/power/recoil in SAME diameter Primeline batches, how do you find loading those rare [until now] ~14.8 @ 380% bands on a ~142 bandstretch Abellan, as compared ~14.5 @ 400%?
I had a batch of ~14.7s that were a bastard to load at ~380, but might've just been a denser batch. OR i was unfit ;)

Actually they were not so bad to load at all. You have to realize that not all material is same shore hardness. For example there was a batch of Sigalsub 14.5 mm bands (also made by Primeline) that on a new band ... I could barely load 360%. The batch of thicker 14.7 and even up to some 15.1 bands I had, were pretty easy to pull back to 380% I think if the rubber cures or if it was made when temps were low, it affects the shore hardness. Also there is a new Cressi small ID band (again made by Primeline) ... I didn't get good results with that batch @15mm. They were measuring 15.1mm but felt not as stretchy and got better performance with the older Primeline 14.7mm bands. Once I get a good batch of rubber, I get a lot of it and store it in a freezer I have just for bands. Problem is that word gets around and all my buddies will hassle me for every last foot. I will say that lately the band material has been consistently very good and stretchy.

Red Tide 08-28-2017 08:35 PM

I received 25 feet today and it looks great. Appears to be stretchy which is good. I will be rigging this week on both roller and conventional guns. Thank you Mike for supplying us with this new batch of spearfishing crack!!:toast:

Manavie 08-28-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearq8 (Post 2151070)
Actually they were not so bad to load at all. You have to realize that not all material is same shore hardness. For example there was a batch of Sigalsub 14.5 mm bands (also made by Primeline) that on a new band ... I could barely load 360%. The batch of thicker 14.7 and even up to some 15.1 bands I had, were pretty easy to pull back to 380% I think if the rubber cures or if it was made when temps were low, it affects the shore hardness. Also there is a new Cressi small ID band (again made by Primeline) ... I didn't get good results with that batch @15mm. They were measuring 15.1mm but felt not as stretchy and got better performance with the older Primeline 14.7mm bands. Once I get a good batch of rubber, I get a lot of it and store it in a freezer I have just for bands. Problem is that word gets around and all my buddies will hassle me for every last foot. I will say that lately the band material has been consistently very good and stretchy.

Hahhah! Have an extra batch of your old stuff for them [emoji23] You think freezer is better than fridge? I thought ice crystals might do some cutting?

kavachi 08-28-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manavie (Post 2151081)
Hahhah! Have an extra batch of your old stuff for them [emoji23] You think freezer is better than fridge? I thought ice crystals might do some cutting?

Foodsealered before going in freezer, no?

spearq8 08-29-2017 04:28 AM

I just put them in a vacuum sealed back. I bought a $40 vacuum sealer a while back and just use it for similar odd jobs. I have a nice Samsung freezer I bought just for bands, but I am seeing a bunch of fish and chicken stuffed in there and crowding out my stuff. I do sort of think that freezing is unnecessary and probably just as effective is to put some silicone grease on the bands and vacuum seal. I did that with some bands I left in one of the remote areas I sometimes go to ... and holy crap the bands were just as good as the day I left them after 2 years in hot humid conditions. Usually when I would come back the bands would break if I tried to load them. Remember that you need to use silicone lube similar to what is used in O rings ... so no petroleum based stuff or stuff with added chemicals that can attack the latex.

Manavie 08-29-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearq8 (Post 2151095)
I just put them in a vacuum sealed back. I bought a $40 vacuum sealer a while back and just use it for similar odd jobs. I have a nice Samsung freezer I bought just for bands, but I am seeing a bunch of fish and chicken stuffed in there and crowding out my stuff. I do sort of think that freezing is unnecessary and probably just as effective is to put some silicone grease on the bands and vacuum seal. I did that with some bands I left in one of the remote areas I sometimes go to ... and holy crap the bands were just as good as the day I left them after 2 years in hot humid conditions. Usually when I would come back the bands would break if I tried to load them. Remember that you need to use silicone lube similar to what is used in O rings ... so no petroleum based stuff or stuff with added chemicals that can attack the latex.

Do you then wash the silicone off with soap when going to utilize the bands? So not slippery to grab tie etc? Should we do this for just a 2 month trip in hot humid indo next month?