Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All Other Gear (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Help me develop new speargun hard travel case (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=195974)

R.Boonfield 02-14-2018 10:44 AM

Help me develop new speargun hard travel case

Hello,

I am hoping that you all can help me figure out if I should create this product. I recently went to hawaii and wanted to bring my spear gear. When I searched online for a travel case for my gun and fins so that they would be protected, I found that the cheapest hard travel cases were ~$200. That is insane. Gear is so expensive already I am not trying to drop that much money just to get my stuff somewhere else. As a result, I passed on bringing my gear. I am hoping to create a hard travel case for cheap, but I need some info from the spearfishing community first. If you could please answer the following questions, even if you would never buy something like this, it would be super helpful! Can you please answer the following:

Would you consider bringing your gear to some other location via plane?

If no, why not?

If yes, would you consider buying a hard case?

Which of your gear would you want to ensure is protected by a hard case?

What do you think is a reasonable price for a hard case?

Is there any specific feature that you would like you

Alec 02-14-2018 09:49 PM

Re: Help me develop new speargun hard travel case

The Sport Tube series 2 is just as important as my gun and fins when traveling... Last thing you want to happen is spend thousands on a trip just to have your gear damaged.

Nix 02-15-2018 10:17 AM

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...3fdf7b81mxJX9j

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...3fdf7b81mxJX9j

Couldn't this work?

R.Boonfield 02-15-2018 01:31 PM

Sure, that first one is kinda small though.

Trivo32 02-16-2018 05:34 PM

You could have borrowed or rented someone's sport tube

makemwearit 02-16-2018 10:54 PM

Sport Tube 3 worked great for me, you just have to thoroughly check the baggage terms. Aeromexico got me for $150 one-way to Cancun for it because I declared it as "fishing gear" and it was an international flight... they then proceeded to lose my bag and I'm negotiating compensation with them (which they're being unsurprisingly cheap with). Only cost $25 on the way back via United... bloody scam artists.

Sport Tube worked great though, gear was kept safe,.

peripatetic 02-27-2018 01:37 PM

I got my Sport Tube 3 last week the very best way; for free. I went snowboarding in Colorado last week and found a ST with a Donation/ Take Me note attached at our condo. I had been pricing a ST 2 the day before for $219.

I loaded all of my snow gear into the tube and brought it home to Mexico on Volaris. Even though it weighed 40k, it passed for free!

Red Tide 02-28-2018 07:26 AM

I have done a fair amount of traveling with my spearfishing gear. I started out with a sport tube but found it to be completely useless once you get to where you are going for getting your gear back and fourth to the boat everyday. Also the TSA monkeys will take all of your carefully packed gear out and jam it back in there behind the scenes and this never ends well.
My next travel bag was the Andre Speargun Bag. It was an awesome faded bag and worked great. You could put 4 guns and all your gear in there. Problem was it was super heavy to lug around the airports.
I have found that a double rolling ski bag is the way to go. They are padded nicely and will hold everything you need. I pack my bungees, floatlines, wetsuits, clothing around my guns for additional padding and protection. My other bag is a large rolling duffle bad that holds my fins and the rest of my gear. I will try and post a pic for you. This is the most efficient was to travel that I have found. Yes you will get banged for oversize bags on some airline and that is just a cost of traveling with a big gun to shoot big fish.:toast:

Red Tide 02-28-2018 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the before packing pic

Red Tide 02-28-2018 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the after packing pic ready to travel.

deanmc 03-09-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Tide (Post 2162504)
Here is the after packing pic ready to travel.

That's a great system GR. The wheeled ski bag totally makes sense. I used the sport tube on a recent trip and on the way home TSA opened it at some point and didn't put the lock back on. All my stuff fell out and came out on the baggage carousel. Luckily I recovered everything. I will hesitate to ever use that box again, it is bulky and a pain in the ass to transport in smaller vehicles once you are at your destination.

Snapper Mangler 05-16-2018 10:16 AM

When i finally get some time i was thinking about this same issue. I was thinking about building one out of fiberglass and keep it light but strong and foam padded on the inside. But build it to actually be designed for spear gear

Diver278 05-24-2018 02:36 AM

I used a sport tube to travel to the Philippines and I had to pay $150 for an extra piece of luggage. You are allowed two bags of 50 lbs each so my ST was an extra with a 62” total length limit. So I used a ST one and took my guns apart to fit them inside. Lucky for me they didn’t open and repack it I just put (fishing equipment inside) on the outside of it. which was my two spearguns and extra stuff etc. Good thing is it was a one way trip. Now I don’t have to worry about it anymore it’s staying I’m tired of the hassle all the time.

dr.ed 05-25-2018 04:41 PM

I use a kite “golf deceiver” bag. Carry: guns, shafts, fins, floats, float lines wet suit etc

Get a good digital scale. And copy of airline regulations. I leave a nice note for TSA; seriously a nice note !

sacha58 05-26-2018 07:30 AM

Armor used to make a great padded speargun bag, but no wheels, it was also length adjustable....