View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #174
kon

Re: Alemanni Demultiplied Rollerguns

Yes while I think pool testing is invaluable to help a shooter become familiar with their gun, there's certainly a chance the gun will perform differently in the ocean. It's also not impossible that, for a particular shooter, a gun that seems to perform badly in the pool at long distances may actually work great in the ocean at shorter distances. And I agree, with time and practice I would have likely grown into my standard guns and become accustomed to the recoil. But, I only have a few opportunities a year to use the guns when I travel, and with a lot of down time in between trips. After having used the Alemannis on only a couple of trips, I'm confident they were the better short-term and long-term choice for me.

Also, I made the mistake of overpowering my guns right away and cutting the 14.5mm bands at over 380%. I even tried the 15mm gray/amber bands at the same stretch and it was no surprise that the guns were explosive and difficult to shoot accurately. In hindsight, I should have started with 14mm bands cut at 350% to get comfortable before adding power, especially considering that there's still plenty of range and power at that band stretch.

As for video, I was in a rush prior to my Panama trip and didn't bother recording. I also didn't have anything larger than a 2 band gun on hand to compare with. But a friend now wants to pool test his new 4 band 67" Sea Sniper (one of the last ones built), so if we have an opportunity to do that, we'll certainly get it and the Vela on video.
kon is offline   Reply With Quote