View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
Mind Games

Re: Sad Thanksgiving Day news: Woman dies after dive boat capsizes off Fla. coast

This is tragic...and our thoughts are with all who were involved...and our thanks to all who helped rescue divers, crew, and gear.

I would like to learn something from this...what is a set wave?

I understand rogue waves are much more common than mathematics would predict...they can be created in any sea conditions that can create a deep trough...and on south Atlantic east coast they are often created by opposing and prevailing winds and current. Like conditions we are seeing now...waves driven by a northerly wind opposing a strong southerly current like the Gulf Stream...or in inlets with an outgoing tide hitting up against an incoming ground swell.

While my thoughts are with the divers, crew, and deceased diver and her family, I feel this is an important subject for all skippers and there is something important to be learned from this tragic incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead786 View Post
What they are calling a rouge wave surfers know was a SET wave and they were coming in at intervals @ Hillsboro all day this day...