Thread: Light tuna gun
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Ric.Fallu

Re: Light tuna gun

I took the gun to the Southern Freedivers club meeting. (Its not always wise to show off an unfinished gun, but what the heck!) Anyway, there were several comments:
• The spear, trigger and line hook were stiff – this was due to swelling caused by epoxy and varnishing, and should be rectified by judicious sanding and filing later
• It was in !#@!*! pine. If this gun shoots well, I will prolly make another with flasher joinery and timbers
• The spear whip inhibitors may not withstand the rigours of firing the gun. Time will tell on this one, but similar arrangements have lasted OK in other guns.

Am always interested in other's comments - especially if they challenge what I think is correct.

There has been a big dump of rain over the last few days, no doubt dropping the salinity in nearby seawater, so I will have to wait a few days before I try to ballast and balance the gun.

In the meantime, I might start another, built to the same specifications, but without the spear whip limiters – that way, I can shoot targets and compare and see what effect, if any, the limiters have. If a gun with just a spear channel shoots as well as one with the limiters, then there is no need to install them. If it doesn’t shoot as well, its not too much trouble to install some. I am toying with names – perhaps “Forbidden planet” or maybe something else.