View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 11:35 PM   #46
spearq8

Re: Roller Spearguns - whats the fuss about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Makely View Post
Obviously you only handled it in the pool but any thoughts about how the shape would help or hinder tracking fish in a real world situation with current, swell, etc?
Oh ... I have used the Urukay 120 for spearfishing many times. In its modified setup that I have, it performs very close to my older Albacore 120 with 3 x 14.7mm bands and an 8.5m shaft. This would be a perfect gun for shooting large pelagics at distance. I haven't used it for a long while as I have an Albacore 130 (modified) that I now use anytime I hunt large pelagics. This is an Albacore 130 that has about 10cm more band stretch on 3 bands and has an Ermessub double roller trigger. This is a gun that can shoot flat and accurate all the way to 8 meters while pulling cable and can still easily pass the Tuna Penetration Test at that distance. I can aim at the top edge of an orange sized target at 0 meters and hit it and use the same aim point and still end up hitting the same target at 8 meters (bottom of it) without any compensation for shaft drop. Nothing comes close to that type of performance and this is only with 3 quick loading thin bands. You can see test of this modified Albacore 130 here

As for the Dark ... I only used it in the pool and it seemed to handle well. The belly seems ridiculously large and I think in high current it might be a PIA. In its default setup it is not a gun I would recommend ... but as things are with many guns you should not be stuck with the default setup and you need to change a few things. My friend who uses it is a spearfishing safari guide and hunts pelagics all over the world. He really likes, so that should say something. I will say that in the pool though, the setup he used was similar in power to my customized Pathos 90 with 2 x 14mm bands. I think with his spearfishing ability any gun would work for him, and he just loved that the gun shot so accurate and was willing to sacrifice power. Personally I think it is possible to get power and accuracy in one package ... you just have to mod the handle and adjust the muzzle.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote