View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
Bwano

Re: Conception Fire Update: 9/12/19

Bob. Thanks for all your input here.
I don't believe it was a Lithium battery fire...yet. It could have been. A crew member stated that an extension cord was even snaked down the emergency egress hatch. Not cool. I have seen many Lithium Ion explosion videos now, (on the internet) since the accident. I didn't know how dangerous they were.

I do feel that no one would have lost their lives, if a Crew member had been on watch. And I feel strongly, this is criminal negligence.

I have done a little research on Co2 poisoning/asphyxiation, etc. If a fire broke out in the engine compartment, and the fixed fire suppression system exhausted, the Co2 could have conceivably been drawn into the galley, then the bunks, by the ventilation system. Co2, in a threshold concentration can result in unconsciousness in under a minute. There are accounts of Marine fires in reports on the NTSB website, where fires started on the Generator.

In Clevenger's Safety video, that was made for the Conception, you can see a 5 gallon plastic gasoline container, for the dingy, sitting on deck near the stern. There also appears to be a Gasoline locker, on the stern right behind this can, for said gasoline.

The latest accounts say the crew jumped overboard, swam to the stern, and opened the engine room hatch, and saw no fire. Why on earth did the crew open the engine hatch, when 34 people were burning alive in the bunk? They could have grabbed a fire extinguisher there, or off the deck.

They did not discharge a single fire extinguisher, that was available in the wheelhouse, like on the stairs from the top deck, more fire extinguishers should have been on deck.
Bwano is offline   Reply With Quote