Thread: Texas Regs
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Re: Texas Regs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBaranows View Post
Our biggest problem here in Texas people don't understand spearfishing. We might have to form a non-profit org to really get anything done but nothing will change if we don't ever let anyone know we are unhappy.
That is not limited to Texas, we travel to many states and spear freshwater, it seems that no one knows or understands our sport but they are very quick to judge us and label us.
Point, when we where at a DOW meeting a couple of us stayed after to speak with anyone willing to listen. We had brought our gear, pics and underwater videos along to show them as well. Some of the DOW biologist, wardens and H&L guys stayed because they wanted to know what we do.
After we answered all their questions they had a totally different view/outlook on spearing. They had so many misconceptions about what we do, it was crazy.
You need to be willing to educate them and work with them.

We did put together an organization, it helps to show that you are real and here to stay.

I would love to help where I can, I am and will remain a lifetime hunting and fishing license holder from Texas. I want to see the rules changed my self but since I dont live there any longer I cant do much excpet send emails and letters. I am willing to do that and help any other way possible from a far.

Good luck !