Thread: Lamination help
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Alex1
Alex Hernandez

Lamination help

Hey I was wondering if somebody can tell me where I went wrong when I was laminating the wood to make my first gun. I bought a padauk board at the lumber store that measured 3/4" thick X 8 1/2" wide X 5' long. I ripped that board into 4 two inch strips. I ripped another one of those boards in half and ended up with a piece probably 1/4" thick. The blank was made of three pieces. The two outside piece were 3/4" thick and the middle piece was about 1/4" thick. I flopped the grain and made the wood bow toward each other. I glued it all up with Titebond III. When I took the wood out of the clamps about 3 days later and was trying to square it up I noticed that the wood was pretty severely twisted. I kept running it through the planer but I had no luck. The only things that I can think went wrong were I didn't clamp it to a good straight edge (maybe it was to weak and it flexed with the wood), when I bought the wood i noticed it had a small bow in it would that affect it? Andthe other reason is that I was using different clamps and maybe the uneven pressure from the different clamps made the wood twist. I wasn't really sure so I wanted to check with you guys to see what your input is??
Alex1 is offline   Reply With Quote