View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #61
Navanax
Ken

Re: PNW tips thread...

Trust your tide and current charts. Often in the NW, especially Puget Sound, you can get scuzzy fresh water run off on the surface down to 10-15 feet booking along at 2-3 knots yet have it be zero current and 30' viz underneath in the salty water. It will taste brackish on the surface. Watch on the ascent you don't get blown past your boat. If so, see North Star's and Kehloken's earlier posts.

When you crack all those crab legs at dinner, save the shells, freeze them, take on the next fishing trip. Decent chum for black rockfish right before you get in the water.

When you clean a salmon, the carcass goes in your local stream this time of year to feed the bugs that will feed the baby salmon (smolts). Freeze and save until smolt season if needed. I put rockfish in as well. Feed the smolts!

I now keep a pony bottle and extra reg in the boat. You never know when it will be handy.

Never ever shoot a lingcod or cabezon guarding eggs. Very bad karma.

And my wife's contribution. "Since you bought one of those low profile slick collar looking life vests for when you are in the boat solo, wear the damn thing".

Ken
Navanax is offline   Reply With Quote