View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Re: Anyone heard of the CCA?

Jeff, I know some of the Florida CCA guys.

While I understand where Marcus is coming from, I also think CCA is a pro-fishing political force to reckoned with for sure. Most of the time their interests are aligned with spearos and we need them on our side in fighting against stupid, nonsensical, anti-fishing activists that advocate regulations that are not based on the best science.

I recently teamed up with CCA and others to defeat a proposed recommendation by a local quasi-governmental work group with some members proposing a national marine sanctuary in my back yard of South east Florida from Miami north several counties. That useless layer of new regulations was opposed strongly by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission staff and we defeated it on a work group vote of 8 to 6. But, believe me the environmental members like Ocean Conservancy and some dive charter operators will not be giving up easily.

Jeff, you will be a great ambassador for spearfishing. Just educate them that discrimination against a gear type like spearing is not wise. It is far better that CCA and us work together united against the opposing powerful, well-funded, and often unreasonable forces against sustainable fishing.

My 2 cents, Tony
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote