View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Re: Spear pole head repair

On the AMF, I believe it’s around 1/8" and the Scubapro is close to the same, maybe a little less.
The AMF came with epoxy and a roll pin. I’ve replaced a couple and if they are used a lot, the epoxy gives up and the fiberglass starts to sugar. I usually cut the end off right at the adaptor then epoxy and peen over a solid pin.

It’s easier for me to cut off the adaptor and put a fresh machined one on the scubapro and others with this staked design . When they get pulled/ripped off, the staked area takes some of the fiberglass and leaves grooves. Its best to either drill out all the staked areas then use one of the holes for a snug fitting pin(I use 1/8”.)
Make sure the buggered up fiberglass is either epoxied well, or cut it back to a fresh area.
I did make one out of hex bar once; so the user could take his tips off easier.
Looking around my lil black book, I found an old spec for a 5.5' AMF, big end (rear) 0.585" small end (front) 0.406".
I’ve also worked on some other no name brands and a Healthways the number one issue with the rod blank spears is they are too heavy powerful for the 6mm thread that they all had.