View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Re: A response to the IUSA statement on Ca Sheepshead

From a PM received.. restates one of the points I made better than i could have...

"For decades now the kelp beds off Sonoma County and Mendocino counties, for example, having had almost no sea otters (there are none north of San Francisco), about zero sheephead and absolutely zero lobsters (too cold for them--except an odd one or two found way south in Monterey during El Nino years), didn't get the memo about sheephead. And oh yes, they have sea urchins up there. The scars in my hand will testify to that--I lived there for about 15 years.

According to the "scientific" papers and IUSA logic and other individuals then, these kelp forests were supposed to become barren, but they keep growing in the past few decades and are so thick that they are almost impossible to swim through this past few summers. Somebody forgot to tell them.

I hope that the IUSA board members and other individuals find some other species to exclude to "save" these Norcal kelp forests off California's north coast. Quick."
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote