View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
jimmyh

Re: bangsticks/powerhead in california

Quote:
And there is the question of why?
There are a lot of reasons one might want to give it a shot at least once or twice. Toys that go bang are generally fun

Quote:
I just looked on line at the CA fishing regulations, and I couldn't find any mention of powerheads in the "gear restrictions" section. It did say that fish could be taken by hook and line, by hand, and by "spearfishing gear" but it didn't define spearfishing gear. It could be mentioned some place that I didn't look though.
Thank you for taking the time to look for it. That is what I found when I looked as well, but I wasn't sure if there was a standard interpretation of what was included in "spearfishing gear", or if the lack of a mention made them safe.

Quote:
Do you live and dive in California? Most people find that they get a better reception if they start with a personal introduction- where they live, what they hunt, diving experience, freedive or scuba, etc.
Yeah, I live in Huntington Beach and do most of my spearing at Catalina. I didn't see any intro thread, and didn't want to pollute the forums with my own intro thread when I'm likely to not be talkative on here anyway.

I've been scuba diving/snorkling since I was a kid. I'm thinking about getting some freediving fins and taking freediving a bit more seriously (I've already broke 5 min static, so I think I should be decent at it ).

I don't hunt anything in particular- I'll pole spear an occasional sheephead and I wrestled and angel shark up by hand a couple weeks ago. I think that earned me a few 'sporting' points to spend on trying out a bang stick

Edit: filled in profile

Last edited by jimmyh; 09-03-2011 at 07:49 PM.
jimmyh is offline   Reply With Quote