View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
EKKsoldier622
561-863-772

Send a message via AIM to EKKsoldier622
How would you run your setup if...?

...You were wanting to use a pole spear while scuba diving anywhere from 60-110' and wanted to attach a line to the pole spear so you could ensure it wouldn't be lost or a fish wouldn't run off with it?

I'm getting pretty big into pole spearing (still on a 6' fiberglass spear though, but will soon upgrade to a Gatku, Crist, Mako, or a Riffe) and am going to start pursuing fish 20+ lbs., but I've been looking into various float line setups and at the depths I'm considering, it seems like an awful hassle to run float line all the way to the surface when I'm at depths of 60-110'.

I've considered using about 25' of float line to hold onto the fish if it runs, but this seems as if it has its own complications. I am usually above a reef (with the floor from 60-110' and me 20' or so above it), so this method wouldn't be so dangerous if I shoot the fish at depth then ascend 20' or so to conserve bottom time (even if it happens to pull me down a bit). However, I am looking to transfer my methods into pelagic conditions, where such a fish could really ruin my day.

I've searched various threads, but am looking for insight on this endeavor.

*Another possible consideration is that I am diving off charter boats which are usually packed full of divers.
EKKsoldier622 is offline   Reply With Quote