View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Koah Euro gun, anybody tried it?

I too have a Koah 58 euro speargun. I use it often down in the keys and is one of my favorite guns. Its a very versatile gun, and will work for shallow or deep water. I use it in 4 feet of water in 400 feet, and will without hesitation. I have mine coupled with a Tuna Merou Reel(nautilus spearfishing) and have turned this gun into an absolute killing machine. The range, the power, the tracking, and the stopping force this gun has is great. Plus you really cannot beat the price. I was considering a Riffe Euro as my bigger gun and decided that i didnt want an off the shelf gun, and that a custom gun wasnt THAT much more expensive...it was nice to be able to put the small deposit down and then pay the last chunk off when the gun was complete. I use it for both freediving and scuba.

John is a great craftsman and has been making koahs for a long time now. He recently stepped up his business and volume by moving into a larger warehouse and adding a second craftsman that has been woodworking for over 30 years. I got to meet him at the bluewild convention, great people. Just recently they both put their brains together and tweaked a few aspects of the gun and started working with different woods and adding new muzzle profiles and shapes to the overall gun, new wooden handle, and much more. Another very notable characteristic is the new 3 part epoxy that he uses now. His older epoxy was nice, but this new coating he has is literally one of the clearest, flattest, most absolute perfect finish you laid eyes on(next to herranens of course).

While i do love my Koah and would recommend it to just about anyone. You should make sure that what you get will not only fit your specific needs but a gun that can also do a little more. If that is a Koah, then great. If its not a Koah, then great...however, definitely keep it in mind. A 3 banded gun will allow you to reach out and touch a fish, but also let you get into a hole and not worry about ruining the tune on your flopper or killing the edge on your spear. Also the environment that you will shooting in will determine the length. There are TONS of people killing fish with their 52 backs and just as many doing with their longer 65 inch guns, so be sure to keep that in mind. If you have questions or things you want to know about, call john up and speak with him directly. You can also email him and he will usually answer the same day or the next.

That small grouper in my avatar was taken just recently with a Koah.

Last edited by kwtony; 12-18-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: tittysprinkles
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote