Thread: Project boats
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
OBLIGATED

Re: Project boats

I bought this 26 leisurecat because the motor compression was almost factory new and I like cats.Problem was the PO took out the thermostatsand couldnt figure why the boat would heat up on long hauls into the gulf.My son started removing some bolts and they were shearing.Told him to stop but he is stubborn.Usually you heat the motor up after some PB blaster or othe penetrating oil and you wont need a expensive machine shop to mill and helicoil the bolts!

The good:Engine was tight,trailer in decent shape,Bimini in good shape,Full canvas screen/isiglass enclosure like new.Boat has twin 40 gal.fuel tanks and 10 gal.water tank with sink,private head with portapotti,Runs in shallows but rides soft in a chop,lots of storage and comfortable seating.Should be able to sell her at a modest profit to put into my sailboat savings.

The bad:cushion are there for templates but shot,Floor has soft spot that local wants 700 to repair.Boat had some growth on hull from being at a dock so some clown belt sanded it off so the sides of hulls will need faired and painted to look new.Im thinking Seafoam green.The teleflex froze and seems the PO tried to unfreeze it by turning on the wheel break it free.He broke it but it will not be free!Shift cable was broke also.Boat has no electronics so an easy grand between fishfinder/gps,radio and VHF.

The ugly:Soft deck will not be fun ripping out or the fun day of fiberglassing and grinding.Paying 700 to let someone else cuss and itch still costs 700 bucks!The spots belt sanded look horrible(should be a crime to do that to a boat).Paint and fairing side of hulls will easily be 200 bucks not counting my labor. Cushions are shot and will easily cost 500 just for the sitting area.Benches Im thinking of Sea Dek which isnt cheap either.The machine shop bill was really ugly.
Did I mention I have three boats?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	birds.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	235172   Click image for larger version

Name:	leisurecat1.JPG
Views:	720
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	235173