View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
harbour seal

Re: Best freedive mask on the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiMan85 View Post
If the Technisub fits your face... it's worth every penny, great mask
Micromask - Aqualung (Techninsub)
I agree the Micromask is amazing, sporting the lowest volume (of any spearing mask) + incredible field of view. It feels like a ferrari --- form designed for excellent function with nothing wasted. This is my current favourite mask and a good choice if you want pure performance (i.e., lowest volume with best view). I can see the Micromask might not fit as wide a range of faces as there is less overall flex/compression/wiggle room compared to other masks.

Alien - Omer
If you want pure comfort, while retaining low volume + good view, then the Alien is the one to choose. It has a softer silcone skirt than micromask, which gives the gentlest "kiss" to your face. Also, I expect the Alien would fit a wider range of faces with such a soft silicone skirt.

I can wholeheartedly recommend either the Micromask or Alien.

Sphera - Aqualung
I also own a Sphera and it has the widest field of view of any mask I have tried---the plastic lenses curve around your face on each side giving an unobstructed side-to-side peripheral view. However, for me I find it uncomfortable to wear, especially for longer periods of time, thus I only use it as back-up (my Alien is just too damn comfortable to consider wearing my Sphera). Also, there is some distortion as the lens is plastic and tends to flex at depth, which is not ideal for hunting.

Anyone own both the Micromask and new Sporasub Mystic?

I would be interested to hear a side-by-side comparison for internal volume, field of view, overall performance and comfort in these two masks.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver, Canada

Last edited by harbour seal; 11-26-2009 at 08:26 PM.
harbour seal is offline   Reply With Quote