View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
Diablo Loco

Re: A little Ventura County backcountry trout action anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhill528 View Post
Now I thought I was one of the few left willing to crawl on their belly through all sorts of brush and critters just to catch a few simple trout. But I guess this would be the spot to find 'em. Thanks for the ideas as how to fly fish these little creeks. I've tried the bow and arrow cast and it always turns out bad for me. I'm used to using the Pendulum to toss my tiny lures into holes but as for now I can only really do a full overhead/side rolling cast with my fly rod. When in doubt a fly and bubble works great.
Been flyfishing all my life. It is a huge passion for me. I too am willing to crawl through the brush to get to the secluded spots. Although, I haven't done it for awhile, i also enjoy going into the Back-Country, hiking to some of the best spots in the Sierras and the Sequoias. I have done the John Muir Trail (JMT) twice and have went to different parts of it more times than I can count.

Bow casting is very easy. You just need to take the time to practice. Go to a secluded park, one where there are not many people to get in the way and just practice. Once you feel comfortable, start trying to cast the "fly" ( usually a piece of yarn) into a small bowl or cup. Once you get good at this, you can pretty much place a fly in the most tight places.

Also, roll-casting, from the left or and the right, takes a lot of practice. You will be shocked at how easy it is and how affective it will be to get into an area with over-hang.

It is amazing how much you can improve by taking the time to practice. Best of luck. Post pics of your catch.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote