View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

Re: Best slip tip point for white sea bass?

I take one day at the beginning of the season and spend it target practicing. It pays off immensely. That being said, I don't recommend doing those long shots at all. I do them out of necessity, not wanting to be a sniper. The gun I was using was a Riffe MT 4, with an enclosed track, aluminum muzzle, wing kit, and 4 5/8ths bands. It was a beast in the water, and kicked like a mule, but I was accurate with it.

When I do my target practicing, I use an old fin sock, tied to a piece of line, and anchored down with some lead. I start close, and work my way farther and farther until I reach the gun's limit. I'll spend up to 2 hrs just loading, and firing. I like to put the target at least 15' down, to get a good line up in the prone position. It helps to have a spotter as well. Also, using the hi-vis momoi line helps to see where your shaft is flying.

The yellow was moving fast, and didn't want to play the game, so I was forced to take the long shot. It wasn't easy, but I lucked out and shot true. The white was just at the edge of vis, and I knew I couldn't close the gap. The shaft didn't penetrate all the way through, but luckily, my buddy was just a few feet away, heard the shot and the croaking, and gave it a second shot before I even surfaced. It was in open water.

Also, you have to make sure you are good with the gun you're using. I just bought a new gun, which brings my quiver to 3. A riffe c2, a riffe c3x, and a big daddy 57" xtreme custom. Each gun gets a couple of hours of practice before the season gets underway. They all have their shooting quirks, and knowing them is the key to success.

Now if I could find a frickin seabass this year, I could put my practice to the test