View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
Scubapilot

Re: 30 Year Boat Yard Owner / Technician

There were a few variations of the tilt and trim on this particular engine.

Some were equipped with tilt only, which would not hold the engine up under power, but would lower when any more than an idle power was used. This system is easiest identified by only having one hydraulic cylinder under the engine.

Give me your serial number and I will attempt to get a straight up answer for you. A picture would be quit helpful also.

I don't believe you are describing a electrical issue. And I would further think not if the up and down trim switch is confirmed as working as designed, and the electric motor of the trim system is not running when the throttle lever is pushed forward. I did have a trim wire being pinched against a power wire one time when the throttle was being moved forward. We can test for this by turning the key to the ON position, not running the motor, manually shift the engine into gear and advancing the throttle. Does the electric trim motor start running? Then wiggle the wires under the shifter and see if this gives us the event we are looking for.

Likely, if your engine has only one cylinder under the engine transom bracket, and not the short "Stubby" trim ram, the unit is reacting as designed.

Hope this helps,...Get me the serial number and a picture and I can better guide you.

Dominick