View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 07:55 AM   #15
Spearette

Send a message via AIM to Spearette
Re: What's the best way to freeze lobster?

I've tried most of the methods suggested above, and found, that for the money, it's REALLY worthwhile investing in a high quality vacuum sealing unit. (I got a new one at a garage sale for $25) I used to put all my lobster and fish in baggies, add water, and freeze to prevent freezer burn. I ended up with a huge mess of ice filled bags in the freezer.

I've been using a vacuum sealer for over two years, and it's awesome. For fish - you need to pat the filets somewhat dry before sealing. I've eaten fish and lobster I sealed and froze a year ago, and they tasted terrific with no burn. For lobster:

1. Clean lobster as normal, leaving meat in the shell
2. Curl the tail up into a ball
3 Take a paper towel and fold it in half, and in half again, until you have a long strip a couple of inches wide; for really big tails, use 2 paper towels still connected, you want to make sure the strip is wide enough to cover the spines
4. Wrap the strip around the curled up tail, covering all the spines
5. Stick in the freezer bag with the paper towel still wrapped around it
6. Stick a few more in the same bag if you want - I normally stick about 3 in each bag
7. Suck the air out, and seal (I seal the bag 2 x's, about 1/2" from each other)
8. Thaw as normal, discarding the paper towel after defrosting

I've frozen all sizes of tail in this manner, from those nicely legal, to a couple of 10 lbs's plus.The key here is to ante up and buy a good name brand unit. Cheap knock offs are not worth the money.

Last edited by Spearette; 09-06-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Spearette is offline   Reply With Quote