View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
ApneaAddict

Simple Pan Seared Grouper (would probably be great with most white-fleshed fish)

I had been trying to save the broomtail grouper I speared this past summer (my avatar photo) for a special occasion, but realized yesterday that I was saving it for so long that it might start losing some of its quality soon, so I pulled a bag out of the freezer. I used some recipes online as the model, but improvised a bit too. It came out far better than I could have possibly hoped. The fast/hot searing results in a thin crisp layer on the outside of the fillet and when you bite through (with grouper at least), its super moist and almost buttery inside. The salsa adds a bit of sweet that goes great with the spicy cajun rub. I will be doing this recipe again, that's for sure.

-Pan seared grouper-

Principle ingredients
1. Cajun spices
2. Grouper fillets
3. "Tropical" salsa
4. Mixed greens/spinach/salad

Total prep and cook time <10 minutes.

A real Cajun rub calls a number of ingredients I didn't have on hand, so here's what I used (approximate values- this should make enough to lightly coat 3-4 normal sized servings):
2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
3-5 tsp garlic salt (really just salt to taste)
dash of onion powder
dash of chili powder
dash of dried oregano
dash of dried basil
dash of dried thyme

Pat the fillets dry, then rub them down with the Cajun spice. (you want to coat it everywhere, but not cake it on- its pretty spicy/flavorful and seems like it could overpower the fish's flavor if you aren't careful)

Put enough olive oil in a non-stick pan to cover the bottom and put on the burner until the oil begins to smoke just slightly (very hot!).

Put the fish on for 2-4 minutes per side (depending on thickness). (If you've got a real thick fillet, you might want to sear multiple sides- I seared 4 different sides on mine for ~2 minutes each.)

Remove from heat, put over a bed of mixed greens (I actually just used spinach because it was all I had).

Apply some store-bought salsa that includes some sweet/tropical components (I used Lucky brand "Peach and Pineapple Salsa").

Devour with gusto.

P.S. I should add the caveat that broomtail is incredibly delicious however you cook it. Part of why this recipe was so good no doubt has to do with the fact that I'm madly in love with grouper.

Last edited by ApneaAddict; 01-27-2011 at 08:52 PM.
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote