View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
YakAtak
Izabella's Dad

Send a message via Yahoo to YakAtak
Re: SOCAL Freedive mask?

I have a boatload of masks...selected purely on if they fit me...I wish I could fit a Riffe mask cause I'd like to have a Mantis, but it doesn't fit. I have a larger nose so many masks hit the bridge of my nose and therefore are unusable to me. I'll tell you about a few of them here.

1)Aqualung Micromask...I think the coolest of all my masks, but the most sensitive of all. It has a very small skirt so make sure you shave if you are going to use one. It is extremely low volume, so for some it may be a little weird, if you have long eyelashes, they are like windshield wipers.

2)Omer Bandit...great mask, fits great, easy equalizing, my first go-to mask for a few years.

3)Omer Alien...my current go-to mask same as the Bandit but with a better field of view and the same fit as the Bandit. I have two of these.

4)Oceanic Shadow(frameless)...great fit and superb field of view. If I am just gonna snorkel I'd use this one...because for the life of me, I can't equalize it...at all...

5)SeaView Amber...great definition and color retention even in low vis, not so great in low light, so don't use it at night (I'd think)...not as low volume as the others but still a nice mask.

6)JBL Minimalist...I like this mask as much as I do the Omer Alien, same fit and excellent mask and for you guys on a budget it's cheaper. For the money this is your go-to mask at ~$40!!!

7)Deep See Omni Jr...Izabella's go-to mask...If you want a mask for your kid, get this one..she can wear this for hours and not have a drop in it!!!

I think that's all of them except for the cheapie ones...I think next I'd like to get a Cressi X-Vision...it fits well and I'd like to try it...

Hope this helps...

-Al