View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Mcdiver matt

Re: Wood pole spear? Dumb idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpwatson View Post
I just finished my first speargun build and had a great time with the project, now I'm wondering about building a pole spear. I'm not aware of any quality wood ones out there and I know the obvious reasons for using carbon fiber/fiberglass/aluminum but I'm just wondering if it could work or if it's worth the effort. I have some nice Bois D'arc (Osage Orange) wood that I think might work, it's one of the hardest woods in North America. Commonly used to make longbows. But also very heavy.

Anyway I'm just curious if anyone out there has built their own wood pole spear with any success or if this is just a bad idea.

That’s funny I was just thinking the same thing. I’ve built about 12 guns so far, but I have a bunch of ipe Deck boards left over from a job, I was thinking about trying to use this wood because it’s so dense, probably rip two equal pieces, and then router out a space the last 12 or 14 inches of each rip, then epoxy in a piece of 5/16 speargun shaft and clamshell the wood around the spear gun shaft, And shape it/taper from there. Might give it a try if I have time. Anyone else thought about this?
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk