Thread: Bermuda
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Bermuda Hunter

Re: Bermuda

I speared the second fish thinking it was a margate. I've gotten a couple in the past but thats the biggest. I went online just to make sure. Looks like one but is almost twice as big as their stated max. size. Either its something else or we've been spearing world record margates in Bermuda for years.

I've used several types in the past, mostly fiberglass and aluminum. The collapsible versions are really flimsy and are not good. I currently have three spears. I have a six foot, one-piece fiberglass spear which is pretty sturdy for a glass spear. I have a stiff band on it for increased power and speed. Mostly use it amongst the rocks chasing snapper, hinds and coneys. I have a 10 and a half foot jbl aluminum which used to be my go to. The added length gives greater range. I use a slip tip on it. Great for both on the reef and in blue water. Its hollow and is supposed to be filled with water. Thinking of filling it with something a little heavier to give it more punching power. I use a float line on this spear. My third is a manny puig (8 and a half feet), my go to. Use a slip tip on that and a float line attached to the band. Trying to think of a way to attach the tip directly to the float line so the spear won't get caught up in the rocks while going after grouper. In blue water, having the spear between the tip and the line isn't a concern.

Slip tips are crucial as they eliminate torque which can bend the spear. The float lines act in much the same way as they do with spearguns. Attaching them to the band does not create drag and does not alter the path of the spear. Problem is groupers tend to hole up and spears can get bent and caught in the rocks. Trying to get the spear out of the equation by connecting the float line directly to the tip.
Bermuda Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote