View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #51
Sevenanchors

Re: OFFICIAL Nomination Thread for the 2013 Trip Report and/or Video Challenge

No video, but a GREAT world class weekend with the boys down in the Florida keys.

Went there with my good friend Tommy, whose place there is more a resort than a house. Everyone there brought their own custom stuff. Did I mention that the least experienced diver there had 15+ years spearfishing experience? Also, I should mention that Tommy's business is finding offshore sand deposits, so he has very detailed maps of tiny spots way offshore. They are covered with large fish!

Dove with my diving friend Richard, who I have dove with off and on for around 20 years. We don't need to see each other underwater, I know where he's going to be, and he knows I have his back. One of the best dives was on a small rock some 2 hours offshore. Ther were huge fish there, including a 45lb Cubera that I followed for a while before being distracted by a large Black grouper. Freeshafting, I shot and barely missed him, but he gave me that "Hey - you could have put an eye out with that" look and stopped and glared at me. I knew to stay still as I could hear Richard coming up from behind me. He got the shot and I backed him up with my retrieved shaft. That's how you do it as a team.

End of the day, 5 grouper over 25lbs, one mutton over 12lbs, a bunch of 5lb+ hogs and a LOT of comradderie. Fantastic fresh seafood dinner and off to the keys bar before doing it all over again the next day. This is what life is all about.

Don't ask for the GPS marks, look in your heart to plan a great, world class adventure with your trusted buddies before it's too late.

Semper deep,
Sevenanchors
Sevenanchors is offline   Reply With Quote