View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #27
RaginCajun

Re: Hello to all fellow Gulf Spearos..... New Spearfisherman here

I think your rig is evolving in the right direction. I use either a Transpac or BP+wing, steel tanks and no additional weight. My LP 95's boosted to 3000 psi, a speargun, stringer and whatever else I'm carrying is plenty to get down. Sometimes it helps to suck my wing dry so I'm not floundering on the surface on a hot drop trying to get down before the current carries me away. I'm also a fan of larger capacity tanks, for the safety factor alone if nothing else and I don't care if I end the day with 1000-1500 psi in a tank, air is cheap, my life isn't.

Always dive with some kind of SMB and or lift bag to send fish up. Either could come in handy in the event of wing failure and provide additional lift. Case in point. I was spearfishing in ~120' once when upon ascent I had a hard time maintaining positive buoyancy. I'd hit the power inflate over and over but wasn't getting enough lift. As it turns out, I lost/forgot to re-install the o-ring gasket between my corrugated bc inflator hose and wing. It was just enough to leak out slowly. It was a bear kicking up the steel tank. If I'd had +10 # of non-ditchable weight I'd be dead now.

Also like your choice of long blades. When spearfishing we're mainly interested in propelling fast in one direction and can sacrifice some of the finer control gained with regular fins. I'd argue that long blades might help you swim up a heavy steel tank more easily.

I'm in the P'cola area and always looking to meet new spearos. Getting the new boat rigged out and ready. Holler next time your'e down.

Cheers

Check out my 26' Newton for sale:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-s...portfish.htmll
RaginCajun is offline   Reply With Quote