View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #12
jfjf

Re: Zeagle Regulator Blows at 180 ft

Dan: Your video IS similar to mine. We can probably both agree that the go pro does not capture how loud it is. Your instincts appeared to be the same as mine...Proceed to exit IMMEDIATELY. You were also super calm and smart to grab the primary pressure gauge and monitor for a confirmation that it was only a stage bottle.

For me, I knew it was my primary just from the restriction in breathing effort. So I think my mindset was to use the leaking tank to get some air in the BC, get a few more breaths while I still could and then move to the bail out bottle, also securing the speargun was a priority for me.

James: I have done short deco dives with that small pony, telling myself if the main tank blows, I could get to the surface from 180 and probably do about 3 minutes of a stop. So somehow, I have rationalized this as "safe enough" for deco dives that are less than maybe 5-8 minutes deco. Assuming I could grab an oxygen bottle off the boat and go back down and probably be OK. Again, I am definitely NOT recommending this to anyone and there are no training agencies that would support this kind of planning.

My little accident sorta validated my assumptions, but I did come up fast. I could have hung at the safety stop for a little longer, but the horizontal fishing line had me confused and I thought maybe someone was going to be dragging a trolling lure through me, so I figured I should come to the surface and see what the hell was going on.

I just might start using a 30 cu-ft pony for short planned deco dives. I have to admit, it was a very uncomfortable feeling at the start of that ascent and was very glad to see that I was NOT in deco yet. Plus, I have no gauge on the pony that I can read underwater, so you really can not be sure what air you have left for the ascent.

I rarely do "real" decompression dives, but if I do, then I will generally carry a small third bottle (of oxygen or 80%). With three tanks, I should be able to complete the deco with loss of any one bottle and in some scenarios, the loss of two bottles.

If anything, the two incidents should not be perceived as promoting aggressive diving, but rather to allow others to seriously think how, in less than one second, a dive can turn from complete control to life threatening - and what options they have if this occurs.

I think I may go back to piston first stages, which I have been using for a long time. Never had a scuba pro freaking EXPLODE!
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote