View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #2690
rowow

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal Rock View Post
Some of the other more experienced guys can chime in but I usually look for a head that blends into what I call strong shoulders and not an overly large dorsal fin. The scientists will point to the size and arrangement of anal fins, number of gills, location of peck fins in relation to dorsal, etc. Charley is probably correct, just start with what is known to be indigenous and you can eliminate some of the granular details. Also understand sharks travel thousands of miles a year, sometimes a 100 miles a day, so we do get the occasional white or reef shark as well.

While I am not convinced the Sharkshield works (meaning 100%), it likely does provide a new sensation to a shark they are not accustomed to. And while not as effective as say a 12-gauge or pepper spray on a bear it likely bought Eric, carrying a stringer of fish, some time; enough time through cautious curiosity that the first encounter was nose to nose. Sharks are cautious and prefer coming up under prey. If unable to come from bellow and make a test bump, test bite (surfer at rest) or all out attack (a guy in a sea kayak) they will then resort to circling the prey. The circle continues until a run is made at which point, from my experience, a test bump is made. As mentioned by someone else, that's a good time for a speartip to the nose. One of the smarter divers we go with leaves his stringer on the ledge or in the sand unless he is transiting to a new spot.

Nevertheless, the video is enough for me to believe that the Shield does buy one enough time to potentially capture the stalk vs receiving an unanticipated attack from behind, that's the investment.

I try to remind myself, I'm on life support and it's an apex predator. If it does go into a frenzy and attack I will likely never fly an airliner again, that would be an expensive hogfish. A small reef shark all the way to a white can medically end a career rather quickly.

My .02
The shark shield has been proven time and time agian and thus far has not been 1 single attack (as I am aware). Simply having the shark circle me vs attacking from behind is enough for me, as I can easily scare off the shark. But when I have 20" rows of shark teeth on my ass there isn't much I can do.
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote