Thread: Crist R&D spear
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Re: Crist R&D spear

Randy, my current spear has set-screws and this design is 10yrs old. I've had a grand total of 5 spears sent back for repairs and 4 where from not following the "care instructions".
When I built my first spear I was skeptical about the set-screws as well but with a little dab of anti-seize or silicone grease the problems of galling or corrosion hasn't been an issue.

I'm interested in what the end user wants, set screws or a threaded shaft. As of now it's 50/50. I'm thinking I over analyzed this.

Sacha58 I've ran tests with multiple threads and even a single setscrew holding a shaft without the added security of the dimples and the shaft didn't budge.

My current spear is just one design of many dozen I've made. Some work better some worse. I have a middle weight design that a few here on the board have tried out and it is half the weight of my normal spear but a 1/2" polespear band is required to get it going. My carbon over aluminum spears designs are ultra stiff and of a medium weight and they still need a 1/2" polespear band to make them move. We don't need a lot of band if we can always get within a couple feet of the fish. Its those 6'-7' shots from an 8' spear that requires the 70lb band. My polespear designs require a minimum of a 1/2" band and larger. I like to build middle to heavy weight spears.
There are plenty of reputable manufactures making spears that come with lower weight bands( bands 7/16" and under.)

I will be looking at making my next spear with the option of set screws or 5/16" thread..

Thanks for your insight guys.