View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #71
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver
Re: SAFMC Bringing back catch shares and restrictions on powerheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead786 View Post
For those of you who may question my involvement I've been through this from start to "finish" with sword fishing years ago. It was a serious learning experience. I had no idea how far fishing/the fishery went until then. I had very close friends high up in NOAA that remain today. In fact back then I remember one of them telling me that they were opening Long Lining in the EEZ because that was the only way they could collect accurate data on our sword fishery. He also told me not to get excited about it ( I was passionate about saving the fishery ) because they were going to have a "NOAA payed observer-> probably making over 100 G's a year on each vessel they permitted to commence Long lining in the EEZ. He told me this was the ONLY way they could accurately asses the current swordfish stocks. The boats were to be commercial sword boats NOAA paid to fish with NOAA paid observers on board with the boats selling their catches with no restrictions commercially... YET, they told me this was in no way, shape, or form opening Long Lining in the EEZ. I learned about ICAT, Washington and Lobbyists those years and how FUUKTed up everything really is... and Pirate Diver with me having more than half your living years in all this you should chose your words carefully... I'm for anyone or anything that's for managing our fishing resources rationally and 100% against those who are managing it by greed and / or made up science.
I agree wholeheartedly, and if you felt I was questioning your involvement that was not my intent.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote