View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
jcaulkins

whats the law on sinking a boat intentionally?

im sure there is maritime law/ state law/ fed law etc. that states you may not sink a boat intentionally, but i dont know it off hand so here is my situation

a friend of mine wants to buy a trailer but the one he is interested in will only be sold if the buyer also takes the old boat sitting on it. Can he legally tow the boat out to sea and intentionally sink it? is there a process to go through to clean the boat of all oil (motor parts) and harmful material before sinking? is there a cert. process he can go through to do this?

my friends idea was to clean boat - completely remove all parts leaving only the fiberglass hull - tow it out to sea (as far as needed 1000+feet deep) and shoot the crap out of it with shot-guns until it sank.

2nd question - can you even take a shotgun out on the ocean and start blasting away if there is nobody in sight/ miles away from land? (i know you can do it - but can it be done legally?)

my friend does not want to harm the environment in any way so................ - can any of this be done legally w/ out hurting environment?
jcaulkins is offline   Reply With Quote