Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
Valhalla

Spear Diving Bad Publicity

This knucklehead LDS in Boca Raton is doing the sport no favors IMO. Posting shots of a speared nurse shark...

http://bocadive.com/?s=8
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Gradyman
Man on a Mission...

Re: Spear Diving Bad Publicity

Kind of dorky to keep it short & simple...but, on the other hand, I've eaten baby nurse shark like that before I started diving...it wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't that bad either. Very white meat.

If you lose your wealth you've lost nothing, if you lose your health you've lost something, if you lose your integrity you've lost everything.

When there is nothing left but God,you find out that God is all you need.

“Watch your thoughts for they become words.
Watch your words for they become actions.
Watch your actions for they become habits.
Watch your habits for they become your character.
And watch your character for it becomes your destiny.

Last edited by Gradyman; 05-13-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
Shaft'o'death
Maverick

Send a message via AIM to Shaft'o'death

Len.. It may be dorky.. But it is also illegal, and I think what the poster is trying to say is this makes us all look bad. Even makes us look like rebels who don't care about the ocean.. and reading on, it even implies that he will shoot something just to shoot it.. Not because he needs/wants to eat it... What an idiot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradyman View Post
Kind of dorky to keep it short & simple...but, on the other hand, I've eaten baby nurse shark like that before I started diving...it wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't that bad either. Very white meat.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
decked out
an over 40 victim of fate

Send a message via Yahoo to decked out

Real dorky
decked out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
headfirst

if you go to the contact us portion of his site your can send him a note
headfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
diverlen

He has probably already been contacted by the FWC.
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
kitespearo
KITESPEARO

Send a message via MSN to kitespearo

I think he will be contacted in the next couple of hours........ooops
kitespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
Slingingsteel

"Captain Ken's Catch and release yep this one lived"

It says under the picture that it was released. Greeeaat, now a spearfisherman is just shooting a shark for no reason, just to release it.
Slingingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Valhalla

The captain also says the shark lived. How does he know?

A similar thread was started on ScubaBoard with similar widespread outrage the result. Good job here you guys...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/flo...boca-dive.html
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
inletsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
The captain also says the shark lived. How does he know?

A similar thread was started on ScubaBoard with similar widespread outrage the result. Good job here you guys...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/flo...boca-dive.html
Although I agree that spearing a nurse shark illegally and then posting it on the internet is a bad bad choice in decisions, I just have to tell you that I'm not happy with your decision to publically post it here. You seem to be a hypocritical whining novice who criticizes this as a "bad image" to our sport, but here you are, fresh from the forum of tree-hugging whiney douchebags called Scubaboard, posting it on other forums which is sure to make the situation more viewable to those who hate spearfishing and want to rid the US of it. If you're so worried about the image of spearfishing, why did you post it here? You are doing more damage than the idiot who posted that photo with him and the wounded shark. Ironic, isn't it?

Why couldn't you have contacted the FWC and not posted this at all? That would have been the smart choice. Low chance of the photo being used to damage the sport of spearfishing due to limited publicity, but effective in the fact that the FWC could, as a minimum, warn this guy of his actions if not prosecute if they found sufficient evidence of illegal activity. Instead, you chose this: Post it on the forums for maximum exposure with no consideration of the further damage this will cause to the sport of spearfishing, and just assume the FWC will just so happen to read this thread instead of calling them, right? Do we really need to know, or do you need your daily internet drama?

Quote:
This knucklehead LDS in Boca Raton is doing the sport no favors IMO.
Neither are you.

"Thanks for the black eye, may I have another?" -Spearfishing

Last edited by inletsurf; 05-13-2010 at 09:22 AM.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by inletsurf View Post
Although I agree that spearing a nurse shark illegally and then posting it on the internet is a bad bad choice in decisions, I just have to tell you that I'm not happy with your decision to publically post it here. You seem to be a hypocritical whining idiot who criticizes this as a "bad image" to our sport, but here you are, fresh from the forum of tree-hugging whiney douchebags called Scubaboard, posting it on other forums which is sure to make the situation more viewable to those who hate spearfishing and want to rid the US of it. If you're so worried about the image of spearfishing, why did you post it here? You are doing more damage than the idiot who posted that photo with him and the wounded shark. Ironic, isn't it?

Why couldn't you have contacted the FWC and not posted this at all? Do we really need to know, or do you need your daily internet drama to keep your estrogen levels up?
The thread started in SB (not myself) was highly participated by Florida native spearfishing folks without similar concerns. The purpose of both forum postings was to apply pressure on the LDS to edit his site. If you deem this activity inappropriate contact the adminisrator to delete the thread.

By the way, you talk big on the internet. Just another internet drooling psycopath?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
IRONHEAD
Member of the Pain Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by inletsurf View Post
Although I agree that spearing a nurse shark illegally and then posting it on the internet is a bad bad choice in decisions, I just have to tell you that I'm not happy with your decision to publically post it here. You seem to be a hypocritical whining novice who criticizes this as a "bad image" to our sport, but here you are, fresh from the forum of tree-hugging whiney douchebags called Scubaboard, posting it on other forums which is sure to make the situation more viewable to those who hate spearfishing and want to rid the US of it. If you're so worried about the image of spearfishing, why did you post it here? You are doing more damage than the idiot who posted that photo with him and the wounded shark. Ironic, isn't it?

Why couldn't you have contacted the FWC and not posted this at all? That would have been the smart choice. Low chance of the photo being used to damage the sport of spearfishing due to limited publicity, but effective in the fact that the FWC could, as a minimum, warn this guy of his actions if not prosecute if they found sufficient evidence of illegal activity. Instead, you chose this: Post it on the forums for maximum exposure with no consideration of the further damage this will cause to the sport of spearfishing, and just assume the FWC will just so happen to read this thread instead of calling them, right? Do we really need to know, or do you need your daily internet drama to keep your estrogen levels up?

Neither are you.

"Thanks for the black eye, may I have another?" -Spearfishing

Your comment was spot on steve, I would have never seen the picture had it not been posted here. love your closing comment.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
N 2 DEEP

It would be better for all concerned it that moron never went back into our water! jack ass!
N 2 DEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
IRONHEAD
Member of the Pain Train

Quote:
The thread started in SB (not myself) was highly participated by Florida native spearfishing folks without similar concerns. The purpose of both forum postings was to apply pressure on the LDS to edit his site. If you deem this activity inappropriate contact the adminisrator to delete the thread.

By the way, you talk big on the internet. Just another internet drooling psycopath?
there is a phone number on his web site why not just be a man and contact him yourself and let him know what a douche he is for posting the seemingly flaming photos?
putting pressure on him to edit it by posting the link to other sites if anything just gives him more exposure and you know the old saying " there is no such thing as bad press "
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
inletsurf

Quote:

No, I spearfish. Like on a regular basis, not on the internet. My boat smells of fish slime from the bilge and there are more blood stains I will ever be able to clean after a trip. All of my spearguns look like shit, and are beat to hell, because I use them a lot. So I just want to make the point that 1) my opinion is valid because I do spearfish on a regular basis, and 2) because I spearfish on a regular basis, I have a strong vested interest in protecting this sport.

So I am a "psycopath" for calling you out? Where am I wrong with anything I said?

Fact is you came here looking for attention, and you got the kind that you obviously didn't want. Go play with your snorkel reviews on scubaboard, dipshit, and leave the spearfishing to us. We aren't here to perpetuate "spear diving" drama, well at least when it involves dragging everyone who enjoys the sport of spearfishing through the mud just for your entertainment. If you truly want to make a difference, call the guy in the photo up and educate him and/or call the FWC and report it.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote