Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
one_drake

Hybrid Carbon into wood distance

I was wondering how far you should insert the carbon into the wood on your "standard" hybrid build. Think 3 bands or 1 thick and one "regular size" band on a 50" gun?

Thanks
one_drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
phil herranen

Re: Hybrid Carbon into wood distance

Wong inserts his around 3" into the stock . it dosent seem like much but thats all it really needs with the forces involved ,and i doubt one could break in normal use . that being said i would run it all the way back to the mech but i tend to over do everything.
phil
phil herranen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
lidiver

Steve Veros (Poseidon Sub) mentioned 8" in his gun build thread. Keep in mind that if the gun is short then the insert might interfere with the screws / inserts for the reel (or the handle).

Stefan
lidiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Wood Guy

I'd consider 3" the minimum, and only because that's what Phil says Wong uses for his. I'd go all the way back to the mech (as Phil said), or at least 6" if I wanted to leave unbored stock for a reel mount. You'd need to look at the geometry, but in my opinion, more depth is better if practical. How are you going to cut the bore?
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
one_drake

Figuring it all out now..... the design is going to be different.... but i still need the concepts of depth to insert carbon tube as well as what is the best way to cut the hole? Router it and then lam it, or do guys use a mill to put the hole in?
one_drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
lidiver

There is a very good thread posted by Steve Veros (hint: it is on another forum) with step by step descriptions and pictures. I followed his instructions on my build and it worked great. In summary he is using a ball router to make the bore in one cut - it worked fine for my 1 1/4" barrel. Then use a 1/2" shim to cover the cut used for the router bit shank. Read carefully and give it some thought how to shape the shim...

I like Steve's approach as the entire gun is build/cut without moving the router fence. The barrel, track and trigger will be perfectly aligned.

Stefan
lidiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Tin Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_drake View Post
. . . or do guys use a mill to put the hole in?
+1 for Steve's tutorial. But I've used a Bridgeport with a 90 head and works great if you have access to one. An advantage to the mill is that Forstner bits seem to come in more sizes than router ball bits, if you are using an odd size tube.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote