Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #31
el_pedorro
Doug Reynolds

Re: Diving from a kayak at La Jolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre
...Its a very slow and painful death.
Slow, granted...but depending on what part of one's anatomy they attack, it could prove to be not such a bad way to go...
el_pedorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #32
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polystigma
Did anyone ever hear about the couple that was eatten by a white shark while kayaking. Apperently officials found the kayaks afloat with the couple missing. Later body parts of the wife were found and teeth and tooth marks were found in the kayaks plastic.
Was this recent, or are you talking about the UCLA grad students at least 10 years ago?

Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 01-23-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:45 AM   #33
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_pedorro
Slow, granted...but depending on what part of one's anatomy they attack, it could prove to be not such a bad way to go...
Damn, this thread is getting really kinky!
Old 01-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #34
seawolf
Winter Is Always Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre
Was this recent, or are you talking about the UCLA grad students at least 10 years ago?
Actually, I believe the particular event that Polystigma was referring to was the one that occured in 1989 when a couple of UC Santa Barbara students were training for an athletic event in the Santa Barbara Channel. As I remember, I think the woman's torso washed up somewhere near malibu along with the kayaks. The man was never found. This story was covered on the news.

-Tyson
seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #35
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson
Actually, I believe the particular event that Polystigma was referring to was the one that occured in 1989 when a couple of UC Santa Barbara students were training for an athletic event in the Santa Barbara Channel. As I remember, I think the woman's torso washed up somewhere near malibu along with the kayaks. The man was never found. This story was covered on the news.

-Tyson
I thought they were from UCLA, but I just tried to Google it, and all I could find was the woman's name, Tamara McCallister. As I recall, they found the kayaks tied together in the kelp off Malibu with bite damage in them.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #36
Logan

Wasn't there also a kayak attack on a lone woman off of Point Loma in the mid 90's? This might be the same incident, but I'm fairly sure that there was an attack after i moved to SD in 1992.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:27 PM   #37
Spinal Tap

I read somewhere that the two were USC students.

This is an exerpt from Ralph Collier's book.

"Shark Attacks of the Twentieth Century: from the Pacific Coast of North America."

On Thursday, 26 January 1989, Roy J. Stoddard, 24, and Tamara McAllister, 24, were kayaking off Latigo Point/Paradise Cove, west of Malibu, Los Angeles County, California (about 34°01.2'N; 118°46.5'W). The couple were training for an upcoming triathlon and, to prepare, kayaked and swam almost daily. The 5-to-6-km round trip from Latigo Point [Photograph-Latigo-scan-403-413] to Paradise Cove was a frequent and enjoyable experience for the young couple. The last time anyone would remember seeing McAllister and Stoddard was about 0930 hrs, when they were observed launching their kayaks and paddling around Latigo Point as they headed north toward Paradise Cove.

At about 1015 hrs, a resident of Paradise Cove observed “a heavy boiling and thrashing in the water out past the kelp beds.” The water commotion was west and south of the USCG buoy. They reported; “a lot of splashing water and a churning of the ocean, like a whirlpool, maybe 15 to 20 feet [5 to 6 m] across. It lasted about 5 to 10 minutes, then stopped, with all going quiet in the water.” Pinnipeds frequent the area of the buoy and were observed “trying to crawl up on top of it. They were very agitated when the water was being churned up”

Friday, 27 January, the two kayaks were found lashed together, upside down, 6 km off nearby Zuma Beach in Los Angeles County. They were towed to Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard, Ventura County, and were subsequently turned over to the Ventura County Sheriffs Department on 30 January (Photograph). At 1630 hrs on Saturday, 28 January, Tamara McAllister’s body was found 10 km from Channel Islands Harbor (34°05.0'N; 119°18.0'W) on a heading of 220° true. She was wearing a bathing suit and a zippered, blue and black windbreaker jacket. The USCG began a search-and-rescue operation for Stoddard. The extensive search for him was called off after a week. He was never found.

I invested several weeks interviewing local residents, business owners, and others known to be in the area the day McAllister and Stoddard disappeared. No one could remember seeing the couple following their departure at Latigo Point. There are probably countless scenarios for this tragic event. The following is one possibility out of many and is based on circumstantial evidence.

After launching their kayaks from Latigo Point, the couple usually paddled out until they were 50 to 100 m offshore, just inside the kelp canopies, before turning north to Paradise Cove. Once they had arrived at their destination they would swim, talk, and sometimes have a snack before returning to Latigo Point. According to friends familiar with their routines, this trip usually took McAllister and Stoddard 45 to 60 minutes. They could have arrived only minutes after the commotion reported near the buoy. This commotion may have been a white shark feeding on one of the pinnipeds that had been on or near the buoy.

McAllister was found wearing her windbreaker jacket, making it reasonable to assume that she was not swimming at the time of the accident. The kayaks had been found lashed together, suggesting that they were stationary in the water. However, I propose that they might have been trying to return to Latigo Point in heavy seas, with headwinds gusting 30 to 50 knots. McAllister’s kayak had a small crack in the skin of its hull, causing it to take on water. With her slight build, it might have been difficult for McAllister to maneuver her kayak in the stiff headwinds and choppy seas. The kayaks might have been lashed together by the couple in an attempt to combat these rough conditions. Stoddard would have been in the lead kayak, McAllister the following. With both paddling together, Stoddard would have been able to cut a wake, thereby reducing McAllister’s effort.

A hole was discovered in the bow of the white kayak’s underbelly (Photograph). Also present were fractures to either side of the hull. They appear to be stress fractures, caused when the kayak was struck from below. An engineer familiar with the construction and material used in today's kayaks suggested that the observed damage would require the hull to be struck by an object with a mass in excess of 900 kg, traveling at least 17 knots, to cause the damage sustained. Several kayak manufacturers said that a kayak’s construction actually causes it to recoil from an object when struck. This flexible construction could have caused the kayak to be lifted into the air when struck from below with sufficient force.

With McAllister’s kayak being towed behind Stoddard’s, she would have been thrown backwards, possibly striking her head and/or hand on the kayak’s surface. In contrast, Stoddard would have been violently thrown forward and could have struck his head on his kayak’s hatchcover, a piece of plywood 25 mm in thickness. Several small, rounded indentations on the surface of the plywood hatchcover were found and examined. Forensic investigation found no hair, tissue or linen fibers. The source of these indentations could not be determined.

Ventura County Coroner Warren Lovell, with the assistance of investigators Jim Wingate and Mitch Breese, determined the following: “Tamara McAllister died from exsanguination, the result of massive tissue loss to the upper left thigh and a traumatic wound to the upper right thigh that severed the femoral artery and vein. Measurement of the left thigh injury exceeded 34 centimeters in diameter.” Bruises to the right hand and back of her head where also reported. The dimensions of Tamara McAllister’s injury suggest that a White Shark about 5 m in length was responsible for this unfortunate tragedy.

----End text----------------------

There was also an unconfirmed attack of a kayaker off La Jolla in 1995. She was knocked off her kayak by a big shark as witnessed by other kayakers. The woman who was from Sacramento did not seek medical attention and did not file a report.

I found it interesting that the California County with the most shark attacks on record for the twentieth century is San Diego County with La Jolla the site of several attacks including at least one fatal attack. San Diego is area of the only known attack on the united states pacific west coast involving a hammerhead shark. Unfortunately that attack did result in fatality. If you go in the the shark news section of the unprovecked attack website you find all the documented encounters over the last year or so.

Nate
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:05 PM   #38
OceanEd

I was all set to take a diving kayak down to the Bahamas next year. Now I am not so sure. Bill, thanks for adding another brick to my paranoia pile.
OceanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #39
promethean_spar

I doubt a shark would hang around after the shockwave of the glock going off hit it. Any critter would take that as a sign of serious aggression.

Russia has a cool underwater submachinegun that shoots long darts. Also comes in a handgun, 4 shot package. They claim it will puncture a person at 30'. Neither would be ca legal though.
promethean_spar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:31 AM   #40
Scolinos
is the ocean's lover

that's actually a south African GWS researcher in the boat, that pic was in national geo a few months ago
Scolinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:53 AM   #41
fuzz
fuzzy logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolinos
that's actually a south African GWS researcher in the boat, that pic was in national geo a few months ago
A few months ago?

Dude, this thread was started over a year ago!
fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #42
spea feesha

I've had this image on my site for a while.......I snoped it back then and it's real, they were doing research in south africa......
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/sharkkayak.asp

hey, welcome back Bill
spea feesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #43
fuzz
fuzzy logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spea fessha
I've had this image on my site for a while.......I snoped it back then and it's real, they were doing research in south africa......

hey, welcome back Bill

Read the post above yours.

Look at the dates of the original post.
fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:13 AM   #44
So-Cal Spearo
Austin Derry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spea fessha

hey, welcome back Bill
bills not back, this post is over a year old

So-Cal Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #45
Scottywotty
Long Beach Neptune

The "TAP" is back!

Welcome back buddy!

Scotty