Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #16
deenjiee

Re: Newbie Question: amber mask lens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmburch View Post
I use SEADIVE RayBlocker http://www.seadiveinc.com/X-FreePS.htm

The lense has excellent optical clarity and is great for long surface swims in the bright California sunshine.

People say that the amber lens helps with differentiating prey, but for me it is the quality of the lense more than the amber color. My TruVu RayBlocker mask performs well in any condition vs my clear mask.

I agree with cmburch, the seadive works great and also will fit medium to small faces. Its still low volume and cheaper than what you will typically find the Riffe amber lense priced at.
deenjiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

I posted a similiar thread not to long ago and had some positive input on the amber lense and the seadive masks, as well as the riffe if you get one post a review
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #18
DANAPOINTspear

i personally use amber. I think it helps alot in the conditions i typically dive in. I tried my friends mirrored and i felt like i was diving at night.
DANAPOINTspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #19
KillItNGrillIt

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll go with the amber. I'll post a review when I get it.

Beav, I'm a gun and bow hunter: Deer, Elk, Antelope, and Upland game.
KillItNGrillIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #20
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

If you like the riffe masks, they are AQA masks that are private labeled. I've got an AQA Asteion with amber lenses and love it.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 AM   #21
series8217
Steven Snyder

Send a message via AIM to series8217

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
Took a little while to get is to stop fogging, but now that is no longer fogs I couldn't imagine using anything else.
Is the amber coating on the inside? Scrubbing with toothpaste has always worked for me to get the "new mask stuff" off the inside of the glass to prevent fogging.. but I could see that being a problem if the amber coating scratches off from scrubbing.

I think I'm going to get myself one of these masks and keep my regular one as a spare.. what's a good one for a small head? I wear a Sporasub Samurai right now and it fits perfect.
series8217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:30 AM   #22
Polystigma
No Bananas!

I spent good money on the RIFFE Naida with Amber lenses. Used it about 4-5 times and it is a leaky piece of shit. Guess it just does not fit me well. So I may be looking to get rid of it.

PM me if interested.
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #23
mcnavas
Team "No Ninos"

I just got this mask off eBay new in box. I'll try it Monday and let you know. It apears to have a light Purple and light mirror tint from the outside but looking through it it's YELLOW...weird!

Check out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Color-Correc...742.m153.l1262
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	132
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	76149  
Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #24
series8217
Steven Snyder

Must be some sort of fancy one-way color filter... The front reflects blue light. This leaves you with an amber tint on what passes through.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #25
LGHT
g0t r00t?

Send a message via ICQ to LGHT Send a message via AIM to LGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by series8217 View Post
Is the amber coating on the inside? Scrubbing with toothpaste has always worked for me to get the "new mask stuff" off the inside of the glass to prevent fogging.. but I could see that being a problem if the amber coating scratches off from scrubbing.

I think I'm going to get myself one of these masks and keep my regular one as a spare.. what's a good one for a small head? I wear a Sporasub Samurai right now and it fits perfect.
The mask isn't an "amber" mask it uses ARC "Anti-Reflective Coating". Here is some info on the website.

Anti-Reflective Coatings is a multi-layer metal oxide coating process applied to both sides of the Ultra-Clear lenses. This allows more light to enter the mask by reducing light reflections off the inside and outside surface of the lens. The metal oxide coating is only a few microns thick.

Between 4-12% of light can be reflected back or lost by the standard green float glass mask lenses used. ARC technology lenses are especially important for divers underwater, where available light is quickly absorbed by the surrounding water.

The mask is also about 3 times more than the cost of a standard mask, but in my opinion well worth the cost.

LGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #26
series8217
Steven Snyder

Well, I have ARC on my regular glasses and they have no tint, so its not just standard ARC.. but that certainly explains why it has the purplish tint like I see on ARC CRT displays. It must be that type of ARC instead of what's used on eyeglasses.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #27
LGHT
g0t r00t?

Send a message via ICQ to LGHT Send a message via AIM to LGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by series8217 View Post
Well, I have ARC on my regular glasses and they have no tint, so its not just standard ARC.. but that certainly explains why it has the purplish tint like I see on ARC CRT displays. It must be that type of ARC instead of what's used on eyeglasses.
Yeah no clue on what type of ARC it uses, but it shore does make a difference of standard and amber or other tinted mask. It's like someone turned on the lights in a dark room. It's amazing during night dives.

LGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #28
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

I started to use the viso amber and Mantis amber that Riffe offers, just for the fact i have rosacea issues. Both are great masks and i like the mantis better. Great vis, perfect fit and no fogging. The amber lenses does have a sensitive difference and vis improvement compared to clear lenses.
monster slayer is offline   Reply With Quote