Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
CozyComic

first post from a newbie

Hi my name is Orin I'm in springfield mo I'm actually still really new to spearfishing.
I've got like 1 trip under my belt and ended up just picking up muscles off the bottom XD. We really don't have much here though been looking to go down to bull shoals near arkansas. Also I'm not shure if this is the right forum for this but I was wondering if this has enough power for our parts
Amazon.com : Cressi Spearfishing Apache Speargun : Ice Fishing Spearing Equipment : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Cressi Spearfishing Apache Speargun : Ice Fishing Spearing Equipment : Sports & Outdoors
Please and thank you for your time.
CozyComic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
sticknrelease
Inflatable Floats

Re: first post from a newbie

Welcome CC!

Bull Shoals is a great lake to learn in! It is warm, and the visibility is usually pretty good to great, depending on the time of year and rainfall.

That Cressi will be fine for most of what you find in Bull Shoals, but you will be limited to relatively short shots. Consider that most spearguns are good to about 2 or 2.5 times the length of the shaft. I would recommend trying to find carp in the shallows (less than 12') and practice a bit with them. They are about the toughest fish you will find there, so once you are killing them consistently, you should have no problem with the game fish.

I would recommend trying to tag along with someone who has more experience for a few trips to pick up tips and tricks from them. The basics are; never dive alone, obey the laws (ALL OF THEM), don't dive beyond your limits, and be a good shepherd of the sport.

If you get your gun and have rigging questions, or anything else, post them up here. This is a great place for information, and to gather differing opinions.

Questions about the Fox Float? Send them to Foxfloats@gmail.com

www.foxfloats.com
sticknrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
CozyComic

Yeah I have all the equipment but the dive belt/weights and some dive pants. Kind of hard to get down to the bottom with my butt end floating at the surface XD. Also since I don't have a boating license I am sort of stuck working out of a kayak. Any good way to enter and exit the kayak when on water? It's a sit in type if that helps.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

Welcome to to the board and spearfishing, Orin!

In terms of guns it's one thing we really recommend you don't skimp out on. A Rob Allen while a little more expensive will last you a life time, it's resale value is excellent (although people will rarely part with them), they shoot like a laser and are built for some of the toughest conditions in the world. If you do some searches on this forum you'll see their reputation is as good as it gets.

In regards to weight and belts we can also help set you up with some inexpensive options and if we can't we'll gladly send you somewhere where you can. The spearfishing industry is a pretty tight network in the U.S and we all take care of each other.

Give us a call at the store or drop into our website at the link below.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
CozyComic

I actually got the cressi gun a couple days back XD. So I will stick with my cressi until I can get some experience under my belt and then I'll go ahead and make the switch over.
With the dive weight/ belt I'll be freediving and I weigh about 150. So how would I go about determining how much weight I will need? If you don't mind.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
sticknrelease
Inflatable Floats

^^ Neptonic Systems is a great company with everything you need to get started, and the gear you need all the way to the point you are making your own guns and custom gear.

As far as weight, that will depend a lot on your body composition and your wetsuit. In a controlled area like a pool, or shallow part of the lake, add weight and stay calmly at the surface, you should be slightly positive at the surface when you exhale.

Your goal should be to dive with as little weight as possible, and to be neutral (neither floating nor sinking) at about 34'. This weighting can present challenges hunting in freshwater, as you may have a tendency to float off of the bottom. Simple fix for this is to grab a big rock with your non-gun hand and hold on.

Questions about the Fox Float? Send them to Foxfloats@gmail.com

www.foxfloats.com
sticknrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
CozyComic

ok thanks soo much guys I get paid thursday so I will dig further into it then.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozyComic View Post
ok thanks soo much guys I get paid thursday so I will dig further into it then.
Our philosophy is to buy it right the first time and you'll save money and have a better experience in the long run. There's nothing worse than investing so much time and money on your passion only to have one piece of gear fail on you causing you to lose that one fish, end your trip, or worse jeopardize your safety.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
livetofish

Bull shoals is a fun lake! i havent been able to dive in very many but Bull shoals seems to always be clear ( just went spearing around the banks yesterday evening and it was pretty murky from the rain and what wind we've had) but for the most part its always pretty nice! what size gun did you order? one of the worst things for me is having to small of a gun for the visibility.I use pneumatics and a 55cm seems to be about right for me. But i've moved up to a 70cm for some added range. Good luck bud! hope you enjoy spearfishing as much as we all do! (:
livetofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #10
CozyComic

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetofish View Post
Bull shoals is a fun lake! i havent been able to dive in very many but Bull shoals seems to always be clear ( just went spearing around the banks yesterday evening and it was pretty murky from the rain and what wind we've had) but for the most part its always pretty nice! what size gun did you order? one of the worst things for me is having to small of a gun for the visibility.I use pneumatics and a 55cm seems to be about right for me. But i've moved up to a 70cm for some added range. Good luck bud! hope you enjoy spearfishing as much as we all do! (:
I got the 30 inch gun