Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
CuzzA

Simple DIY Dual Purpose Fillet Table and Gear Cart...

Well, I couldn't bear to watch the Gators get "shafted" by 'Bama in the SEC Championship game any longer so I started this project and was essentially done so fast I had to watch them take two more shafts before the game ended...

Nevertheless, this simple DIY project is cheap, perfect and serves multiple purposes.

From Harbor Freight I picked up a Utility Cart for $109 with a coupon. I cut one side lip off and bolted an AccuSharp Sturdy Mount knife sharpener on to it. They can be found on Amazon for $10. Cutting the lip off obviously gives you the needed angle for filleting fish.

You could obviously bolt whatever accessories you need on it. Hose sprayer holder, knife holder, etc. For me the only thing I want to add is a 36" aluminum yard stick to the back lip and maybe a PVC upright hand scale holder. Add a garbage can or bucket for carcasses, a stainless steel food tray for fillets and pick up a box of 9 mil nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight for another $10 spot and you got a mobile fish processing station. The gloves work great, don't rip or tear and you can pitch 'em when your done. No more stank gloves in the garage. I also may add some sort of removable stainless steel peg to punch the fish head through and hold the fish in place.

I didn't care to add any drainage to a bucket or anything. I usually fillet my fish at the end of my driveway and just hose everything off into the street with a small amount of bleach.

So, the beauty of this cart is A) It has a spot for your beer. And B) It's multi purpose. I can throw all my gear on it, including up to 6 pyramid stacked tanks. I usually have to piece by piece haul my gear to the back of the house for pool dunking and hosing off. Now it's one trip. Thank God, cause I ain't got time for that. It was getting old. Or use it as a portable bench for working on gear or anything else. The thing is handy and I didn't even have to make it.

Anyway, thought I'd share for any of you looking for a good winter project.

Last edited by CuzzA; 12-03-2016 at 09:46 PM.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
CuzzA

Re: Simple DIY Dual Purpose Fillet Table and Gear Cart...

A couple more updates. Added a removable stainless steel fish holder spike. And riveted a 36 inch yard stick to the back lip.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
roosterman9

cool project, looks good.
roosterman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
CuzzA

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
CuzzA

Ok, I'm done. Last update. Until I put some fish on it.

Added some utility hangers for cleaning supplies. Scrub brush and bleach. Plus a spot for my hose.

Found a grill light which I never used because I already have light on my lanai. So I took the clamp off and put a spring style clamp on it with some zip ties. This will help a lot, because I'm usually filleting at night at the end of the dark driveway by the time I get home and unload all my gear.

I went ahead and cut drainage slots on the back lip (built in ruler made that easy, ) and now I'm good to go. I'm not going to add a scale holder. If I want to know the weight of the occasional fish, I'll just do it the old fashion way and hold it.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
grey2112

If/when my table dies, I'm going to do one just like this - good job, James!
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Super cool idea!
Nice job
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Super cool idea!
Nice job
Thank you. It has worked fantastic.

I did have to add drainage to the bottom tray as well. Big holes or slats are necessary to keep fish scales from clogging the drain.