Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
blitzemall

Diving with A-Fib

So I was just diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation about 6 weeks ago.
It was caused by years of endurance training and racing and was not due to any known underlying heart issue--in other words, my health is solid and athletic but too much of a "good thing" can sometimes cause a "bad thing" to occur.

Anyway, a concern for exacerbating the situation is apnea (sleep).
I asked the cardiologist if diving would be a problem and he said he would do some research on the matter.

I'm not trying to consult the internet Dr here, but I would like to know if anyone else has had any experience with A-Fib and has continued to dive. I will likely discuss further with my Doc before moving forward, but understanding other's experiences may be helpful when I have this discussion.

Thanks
blitzemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Penguin

Re: Diving with A-Fib

My dad has A-Fib and continues to dive. Similar to you, he played a lot of competitive sport when he was younger and does not have any other underlying heart issues. He asked his doctor about freediving and was told it was fine, just to limit or avoid any sport/activity that could get the heart rate very high like squash. He's mid 60's now and still diving in the warmer months. His extremities get colder faster now and that may be due to the medication.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:47 PM   #3
dr.ed

I’m asymptotic a-fib also have significant sleep apena. Asthma too. I still freedive; not as much Now; mostly lack of opportunities. I wear a Heart Rate Monitor when i exercise. I bike- road, mountain, and stationary; white water kayak (mostly class III now); snowboard. When heart rate hits 160-170, i chill. On the bike i only feel moderate effort @HR 150. I feel like i can go much harder. Asked doctors, GP & electro-cardiologist, should i listen to body or HR monitor ? Ans.= HR monitor. So i do. Don’t want to stroke-out. BTW I’m on a beta-blocker and baby aspirin.

How Much do you like diving? How old are you? Wife? Kids?

I like my hobbies and being active. Also, Something gonna kill me. I’m gonna be Really PISSED it COVID-19 gets me!

ALOHA
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Flutter since childhood. High level sprinter through school. 56 now and it's a bit more pronounced but I'm fat AF with 90+ cheat days in a row. Resting for me is under 60 bpm but sounds like a Stewart Copeland playing drums with odd beats and speed variance. I dove as hard as anyone I know for years without issues. Better than A PFO.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
blitzemall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ed View Post
I’m asymptotic a-fib also have significant sleep apena. Asthma too. I still freedive; not as much Now; mostly lack of opportunities. I wear a Heart Rate Monitor when i exercise. I bike- road, mountain, and stationary; white water kayak (mostly class III now); snowboard. When heart rate hits 160-170, i chill. On the bike i only feel moderate effort @HR 150. I feel like i can go much harder. Asked doctors, GP & electro-cardiologist, should i listen to body or HR monitor ? Ans.= HR monitor. So i do. Don’t want to stroke-out. BTW I’m on a beta-blocker and baby aspirin.

How Much do you like diving? How old are you? Wife? Kids?

I like my hobbies and being active. Also, Something gonna kill me. I’m gonna be Really PISSED it COVID-19 gets me!

ALOHA
When you say that you are Asymptomatic, does that mean you rarely have episodes?

BTW, doc prescribed beta-blockers and blood thinners but said I should only take the beta-blocker if I have another episode and only the blood thinner if it lasts over 6 hours.
blitzemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
dr.ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzemall View Post
When you say that you are Asymptomatic, does that mean you rarely have episodes?

BTW, doc prescribed beta-blockers and blood thinners but said I should only take the beta-blocker if I have another episode and only the blood thinner if it lasts over 6 hours.
What are your symptoms of “episode?”

By asymptotic i mean no symptoms that i notice. No flutters, no light headed, no fainting etc. A-fib “discovered” when i had an EKG prior to bladder stone removal. Took treadmill stress test & echocardiogram; passed flying colors. EKG shows irregular rhythm; HR irregular & elevated with strenuous exercise. Resting HR 60-70; good BP (esp. for old fart).

Electrocardiologist suggested taking extra half dose in AM prior to “activity” but not daily workouts. Daily beta-blocker PM. Two birthdays from now plans to put me on blood thinner. Cardiologist said i can stop blood thinner 2 to 3 days prior to snowboarding or mt-bike. I expressed concern bleeding out if i crashed. ��

A book that might be helpful- The Haywire Heart: How too much exercise can kill you, and what you can do to protect your heart Paperback – April 4, 2018
by Christopher J. Case (Author), Dr. John Mandrola (Author), Lennard Zinn (Author). Amazon

Last edited by dr.ed; 06-04-2020 at 05:35 PM.
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote