Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-19-2019, 03:08 AM   #16
spearq8

Re: Thread Insert for Wood

I fully agree with GR regarding these inserts. If you drill a pilot hole into wood and use an epoxy mix to screw your screw in the wood … you have a very strong connection that will never rot out even if you don't use Teak wood. You could also oversize the hole first then fill it with epoxy and structural fibers and then pilot drill the hole and screw your screw in … again this is bomb proof with any wood. If you want to remove the screw you just put a solder iron on the top of the screw and it will soften the epoxy and screw comes out leaving a perfect threaded hole. If you want to put the screw back in you again put a bit of 5 min epoxy on the threads and screw the screw back in. I would much rather use this method with a readily available 316 SS wood screw than use a 304 insert that for sure will corrode.

Now if you really want to use inserts I think they can also be done really well but I would use a bench press to do my holes absolutely straight and accurate (easier said than done as if you have a reel with matching holes this needs to be done super accurate) and again use epoxy in the hole before inserting the insert. If your insert is hollow there might be a chance of epoxy flooding the hole so I would use a bolt inside the insert and again use heat to remove the bolt after curing. If you want the nuclear option, you could actually drill deeper put your insert about 1 or 2mm below surface level and fill top off with epoxy and structural filler … this totally embeds the insert and basically impossible to remove. I did this one time where I wanted to cover the stock with carbon fiber skin … obviously this is a permanent solution.

One thing … if you want to use inserts just use A4 or 316 SS. Even if they are expensive you just need 2 or max 4 of these per gun … that doesn't add up to much per gun.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:16 AM   #17
SEATUX

spearq8..I agree with what you have said.
Let me throw out a way that anyone can do it. Drill your over-sized hole, fill hole with thickened epoxy, tape the back of your reel ( face that makes contact with the gun), insert the screws you are going to use thru the mounting hole and into the epoxy ( obviously it's better to make a pattern than use the reel but the tape will allow it not to be glued to the gun.) Now the trick, the screws should have ONE wrap of teflon tape on them. when the epoxy kicks the screws will turn out easily. and you will have a perfectly threaded epoxy insert. that is strong, rust proof, and re-usable. It just doesn't get any easier than that.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #18
Sanny

riffe sells them also-
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:10 AM   #19
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
but the tape will allow it not to be glued to the gun.) Now the trick, the screws should have ONE wrap of teflon tape on them. when the epoxy kicks the screws will turn out easily. and you will have a perfectly threaded epoxy insert. that is strong, rust proof, and re-usable. It just doesn't get any easier than that.

Actually that sounds like a great idea! I like the Teflon tape and I guess you could also add some extra teflon tape to make sure you had a snug fit everytime you removed and put the screws back in. The Teflon tape would serve to water proof the hole and also protect the threads while keeping a tight screw similar to having loktite there. I think for the epoxy the structural filler helps a lot in making the threads very strong ... much stronger than wood. I use milled carbon fiber and OMG is that stuff strong! Once it cures fully it feels as strong as steel!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote