Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2008 Tournament Archives > 2008 Hell Divers Rodeo - June 5-8

2008 Hell Divers Rodeo - June 5-8 Check this forum for news, rules, updates, and other discussion about the 2008 Hell Divers Rodeo -- June 5, 6, 7 and 8, 2008

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #16
Mobile Diver
Registered User
 
Mobile Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Key West, FL
Posts: 5,809
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

I need one more diver to make the trip happen. Call or PM for details.
__________________
Steve Moore
www.keysmobilediving.com
steve@keysmobilediving.com
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #17
Griswold
Chad
 
Griswold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Louisiana & Florida
Posts: 1,944
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

Steve, looking forward to finally meeting you. Where are you putting in? We'll be diving out of Venice. Let me know if you need anything.

Chad
Griswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #18
Mobile Diver
Registered User
 
Mobile Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Key West, FL
Posts: 5,809
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
Steve, looking forward to finally meeting you. Where are you putting in? We'll be diving out of Venice. Let me know if you need anything.

Chad
Hey Chad,

I will be running out of Venice if I get the one more diver I need. Looking forward to meeting you also.
__________________
Steve Moore
www.keysmobilediving.com
steve@keysmobilediving.com
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #19
LAfreediver
LAfreediver
 
LAfreediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
Posts: 81
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

hey rock, yall must have been drinking pretty heavily at the meeting when it came time to make the rules this year for the rodeo. why can't we use a reel this year for skin diving? the only people that breathe hold spearfish without a reel or a float in the gulf are the guys that tank dive 95% of the time. freediving is dangerous already with the aid of a reel or float, so WHY take away our life line? now we are restricted to only shooting tuna, wahoo, and mahi. if you want to separate "skin" and "freediving" than adleast allow the freedivers to shoot for all the fish listed on the council board for "freedivers". this is a pointless rodeo to dive for the people that are freediving, unless you are only bluewater hunting. if you want to make this a tank diving only rodeo than do so, but if you plan on including the breathe hold spearo's than make it fair for all parties. whoever is in charge this year should make this rodeo worth while for all the non-tank divers. either change the rules to what they have been in the past, or allow us to shoot the same species of fish listed on the council board for freedivers.
LAfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #20
LAfreediver
LAfreediver
 
LAfreediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
Posts: 81
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

sorry i was having a bad day at work yesterday when i read the new rules and kinda went on a tangent, didn't mean to sound like a dick. but i still wish someone from the club would explain why the sudden rule change.
LAfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #21
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS
 
Louis Rossignol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kenner Louisiana
Age: 55
Posts: 2,316
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAfreediver View Post
hey rock, yall must have been drinking pretty heavily at the meeting when it came time to make the rules this year for the rodeo. why can't we use a reel this year for skin diving? the only people that breathe hold spearfish without a reel or a float in the gulf are the guys that tank dive 95% of the time. freediving is dangerous already with the aid of a reel or float, so WHY take away our life line? now we are restricted to only shooting tuna, wahoo, and mahi. if you want to separate "skin" and "freediving" than adleast allow the freedivers to shoot for all the fish listed on the council board for "freedivers". this is a pointless rodeo to dive for the people that are freediving, unless you are only bluewater hunting. if you want to make this a tank diving only rodeo than do so, but if you plan on including the breathe hold spearo's than make it fair for all parties. whoever is in charge this year should make this rodeo worth while for all the non-tank divers. either change the rules to what they have been in the past, or allow us to shoot the same species of fish listed on the council board for freedivers.
You're not a dick, I don't know how this got ****ed up other than the council changed it's rules last year and the Hell Divers were going with the councils rules. Raise some more hell, the rodeo hasn't started yet. I'm forwarding all this to Papa Smurf, we'll have a meeting Monday night, be there. My house 7;30.
__________________
Rok out

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #22
LAfreediver
LAfreediver
 
LAfreediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
Posts: 81
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

sounds good rock. i'll be at your house monday night with some cold beers in hand!
LAfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #23
LASeaCat
Helldivers
 
LASeaCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 346
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK BOTTOM View Post
The "Skin" division is a throwback to the old school. It is a breathhold division similar to bluewater but no reels or buoys/bungies. The line has to be "attached" to the diver at all times, either to the gun or the diver via a riding rig. The fish categories are different too.

Zz
Stay tuned for more clarity on the Skin versus Freedive categories!!
LASeaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #24
LASeaCat
Helldivers
 
LASeaCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 346
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAfreediver View Post
sorry i was having a bad day at work yesterday when i read the new rules and kinda went on a tangent, didn't mean to sound like a dick. but i still wish someone from the club would explain why the sudden rule change.

Alcohol and cry babies...............
LASeaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #25
LAfreediver
LAfreediver
 
LAfreediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 35
Posts: 81
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

somebody had to bitch about it in order to get the retarded rules switched back to what they should and always have been. when ya get a chance post the updated skindiving rules, so i can send it to the guys in my club.

and for everybody who doesn't know, dave dauzat and rock are going head to head this year on the same boat for the helldivers rodeo. sorry dave, but i have my money on the rock beating you by a couple points. he's got that new tatoo on his arm, which is going to allow him to swim adleast 4mph faster than anyone else on the boat. you might want to think about getting inked before the rodeo, lol.
LAfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #26
LASeaCat
Helldivers
 
LASeaCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 346
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAfreediver View Post
somebody had to bitch about it in order to get the retarded rules switched back to what they should and always have been. when ya get a chance post the updated skindiving rules, so i can send it to the guys in my club.

and for everybody who doesn't know, dave dauzat and rock are going head to head this year on the same boat for the helldivers rodeo. sorry dave, but i have my money on the rock beating you by a couple points. he's got that new tatoo on his arm, which is going to allow him to swim adleast 4mph faster than anyone else on the boat. you might want to think about getting inked before the rodeo, lol.
Hey Lindsey,

Not talking about you being a cry baby! I was talking about the folks that got them changed in the first place! I'm working to get them changed back to where they were before so get your reels tuned up!! If folks don't like the rules, don't dive the rodeo!

As far as me and Rok head to head............ I'm still handi-capped ya know so you would have to give odds for that bet! There are others on the boat that can take it as well! However, can you say best boat!!
LASeaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #27
Gutshot!
Registered User
 
Gutshot!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Madisonville Louisiana
Posts: 505
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

Hey Doozat,
Mentaly Capped dont count!
Gutshot! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #28
rigdvr
Im a diver, not a thinker
 
rigdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 1,855
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASeaCat View Post
Hey Lindsey,

Not talking about you being a cry baby! I was talking about the folks that got them changed in the first place! I'm working to get them changed back to where they were before so get your reels tuned up!! If folks don't like the rules, don't dive the rodeo!
Guess Im the cry baby then Dave? And dont worry, I wont shoot the rodeo. This is the only place in the world where a freediver using a buoy or even a reel could be called a "cheater" by a scuba diver. I wish we could learn to appreciate both forms of the sport we love but oh well.

This will be the first year in 8 that I havent shot the rodeo and brought some of the best freedivers from all over the country to experience the best hunting and most fun tournament in the world...kinda sad.

In the end its yalls rodeo, yalls club and yalls council so we just have to play nice.
__________________
I know Diver Joe
rigdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #29
LASeaCat
Helldivers
 
LASeaCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 346
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

Look, fish shot breath holding using a reel can be entered on the master board and the skindiving board. Fish taken with a float line are only eligible for the bluewater division. You are not going to shoot Wahoo and Tuna with a reel anyways? As a diver, you can compete in all the above categories. All you need to do is to declare how each fish was taken and it will be entered into that category? It's the honor system. (Don't get caught cheating as the Helldivers don't have a lie detector. They have an extremely large can of WupAss! ) Believe me, I like to scuba, skin and freedive! I'm only trying to work out a compromise. Many divers want to eliminate the use of reels all together! I'm trying to make folks understand that reels are a part of the evolution of the sport just as BC's, pony bottles, high tech guns are. And reels have been used for a long time which most folks around these parts did not realize? The compromise we have come up with will allow everyone to compete!

Additionally, I did not call anyone a cheater. You know me better than that!

PS. You weren't diving the rodeo anyways.... I saw your earlier post! I'll miss ya but if you have to be working, I guess being on a boat in the keys ain't dat bad!!
LASeaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #30
rigdvr
Im a diver, not a thinker
 
rigdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 1,855
Re: Hell Divers Rodeo 2008

I know Dave but I was called a cheater for using floats by a couple of members(even though I rarely use them). I think we were just trying to get closer to the norm for almost all of the top freedive tournaments(shit, most REQUIRE the use of a float). Its always been the biggest concern and question of some of the divers we brought in for the rodeo. I dont think its something that will ever be settled. Its a shame that we cant appreciate all aspects of the sport for the different challenges they pose...remember I scuba dove for years before freediving too

Im not missing the rodeo by choice, thats for sure! With all the big fish being taken this year both freediving and skin diving it should be epic. Heck, I recently shot a nice 30# gag freediving on some shallow gas rigs and the snapper are rediculous over here.
__________________
I know Diver Joe
rigdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com