Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
fuzzybabybunny

Rock sock recommendations? For wider feet?

Right now I use a 3mm sock with a thin rubber sole that flexes just as much as the neoprene itself. It totally sucks when walking over rocks, barnacles, etc. so I actually walk out with Crocs first and tie them to my float when I'm in the water.

Are there any good rock socks with a firmer and stiffer sole that will still work well for full-foot fins? I've also got super wide feet if that matters.
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:30 AM   #2
Mikel_24

Re: Rock sock recommendations? For wider feet?

I think that you are taking the best approach right now. Use crocks or sandals to get to the water and then hang them in the float.

I have used some heavier soled neoprene socks and that stiffness may get uncomfortable when you put them in your fin pockets. the stiff soles don't give anything and if they are heavily reinforced, you usually break them on the seams. They just rip appart.

Y use cheapo sandals instead of crocks, but the idea is the same. If you ever get caught by a current and end up getting out of the water far away from where you entered (and where likely your car is parked), you willl be thankfull of carrying the crocks or sandals. Even the heavily reinforced socks are not meant for long walking.

Last time I screw up it took me 45 minutes to get to my van. Luckily I walked along a nice beach, but it could have been much worse.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
Diver278

Re: Rock sock recommendations? For wider feet?

I agree with Mikel 24. I use a pair of water socks that are a size or two bigger with hard bottom sole. Works great on coral beaches. Got them at Walmart
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote