Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 09-30-2002, 05:40 PM   #1
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Vis Report From The Elbow 180ft +

Got a vis report from the Elbow area 40 miles south of the middle grounds today. 15 to 20 ft vis. Lots of suspended matter in the water and really couldn't freeshaft very well due to the clutter in the water.

When it gets churned up out there in 180ft + it is gonna take a while to settle down. Don't count on the Middle Grounds being too much better this weekend, especially if Lilly clears Cuba in the next couple days and gets into the open gulf.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 06:23 PM   #2
BentShaft

Wow! I am beginning to wonder if we will ever get to dive again! I haven't been in the water since lobster season opened up and it doesn't look too good for anything in the near future either. Guess I will have to catch up on my sleep.
BentShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 06:46 PM   #3
Dive4Blood
The Wizard Of HOD

The Middlegrounds will be fine. I've dove out there days after tropical storm Georges went through the MG itself three years ago, and we had 40'. I've never seen it below 20' out there in 13 years of diving. The fish should be stacked up to incredible levels with the six weeks of consistently poor weather.
Dive4Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:49 PM   #4
Reef Raider
Free Shafter

Its a good thing that D4B got us a roll over date for the MG and
another trip in NOV . How about we do the MG wreck this january.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:12 PM   #5
GROUPER55
AF Spearo

D4B, for what it is worth you just made me feel a helluva lot better about this weekend. We are going to make the call on Thursday, but it looks like it will be a go.
GROUPER55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:50 PM   #6
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

It usually does take a pretty serious blow to mess up the vis in the Grounds, but the last hurricane probably turned the water around Louisiana and Mississippi to pure mud and the Lilly is likely to push it all over here.

I'm not trying to dampen your spirits about your trip, just preparing you for the reality that 10ft. of vis next weekend in the Grounds may be a GIFT! Make sure you bring a couple lineshafts. If you plan on freeshafting, 10 or 12 arrows should be enough. Ha!

Hope you guys load the boat and have to come in a day early!
Good Luck.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:28 PM   #7
Reef Raider
Free Shafter

Even a bad day in the MG is better than 1 more week end of honey-dos. Besides I got a good feeling about this trip !
And I have two line shafts and lines add to that 5 free, will get me by.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:29 PM   #8
Dive4Blood
The Wizard Of HOD

Talking

Talk about throwing a wet blanket on the fire!! I'll be thinking about that zero vis when I string up yet another monster hog. If you are right it will be the first time in hundreds of MG dives where conditions were too poor to shoot.

Last edited by Dive4Blood; 10-03-2002 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:41 PM   #9
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

I absolutely hope I am 100% dead wrong and you guy's make it a point of pointing it out next week on the board! I dove the grounds right after Elena and it was pitiful, so it can happen. These two blows were quite a way to the west so hopefully you guys will have 50ft of vis and sore elbows from shootin too much. GOOD LUCK!

ps, I think D4B may be suffering from a severe case of "surface tension". We better get him wet soon or we could all be in danger!

Last edited by Spear One; 10-03-2002 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:36 PM   #10
Shooter Dan

I plan to bring chum bags to tie to the end of my gun or to the back my dive buddy. This should bring them in range if the viz is on the low side. I do plan to bring beer on this trip just in case with do a lot of hook and line fishing.

What do you do when the viz is gone? Chum and fish and Chum some more.

It's been some time since I've been to the Grounds. I hope the low viz hunting on the east coast has me prepared for the worst.
Shooter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:05 PM   #11
Capt. Jay

I just cant take it.. its calm and I have to get in the water saturday.. I am going 35 miles offshore bayport and plan on diving and rod and reeling.. I will post complete update with pics on saturday night.. Sure hope I will have some 'Vis".. Capt. Jay

Capt. Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:16 PM   #12
dlock
Subaquatic Assassin

Send a message via Yahoo to dlock
good luck Capt. Jay. Post that viz report because I'm going out on Sunday. Probably to the Fin barge,not quite sure where yet. Going with a buddy from my dive club>his boat<. Thanx in advance for that viz report
Old 10-03-2002, 05:50 PM   #13
Reef Raider
Free Shafter

Shooter we got 75# of deans , 2chum blks 10# sqd we need to stop on the way out get the lives for the flat lines.MG here we come!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2002, 06:36 PM   #14
Dive4Blood
The Wizard Of HOD

Jimmy Z says he doesn't want to hear any of this no vis bullshit (I'm paraphrasing). On the way up to Steinhatchee last weekend he noticed the water actually looked pretty decent in 60-80 feet. We're going to check out a spot on the way out in 60' where yours truly is going to get some freediving practice to analyze conditions. Whether by straight stainless or curved bronze, some major amounts of fish are going "over the rail and into the pail" this weekend!!!!
Old 10-03-2002, 07:27 PM   #15
GROUPER55
AF Spearo

Well its a go, we are headed out tomorrow about noon. Bringin lots of fishing gear "just in case" and for the snapper bite. Hopefully it should be good, with the weather and then the moon phase and with any luck we should have the bottom of the boat slippery...."with fish slime" lol. Well be back in Monday so if I can muster the strength Ill post a report. Don't forget about our hogfish bet you guys!!
GROUPER55 is offline   Reply With Quote