Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
fishkilla
Slayographer

Send a message via AIM to fishkilla
St. Thomas/St. Johns USVI dive trip help

i have a friend who wants to take us to USVI for a scuba trip. he always went with friends who sailed down there so he is used to a private boat but this time we will be on our own. in my internet searches so far i haven't seen any charters that have got me excited. are there any places where the coral is in great shape and there are some fish? all the youtube videos i've found so far look kinda like the florida keys... spotty coral and small fish.

i want to bring my big camera and shoot some footage and would like to capture the best there is around there. any suggestions?
Old 10-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
SEATUX

Re: St. Thomas/St. Johns USVI dive trip help

It's not that there are no big fish, they're just hard to find. The locals decimate the fish population.
But
There are Lots of lobsters and coral.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
fishkilla
Slayographer

that is what i've heard. can you recommend any dive charters that would take us to the best locations? do you know of any areas that are exceptional?
Old 10-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
SEATUX

There is lots of good shore diving, I am most familiar with St Croix. Cane Bay is a great coral drop off, used to be able to shoot decent fish there, which drew in lots of sharks, which is fun in itself.
There is lots of coral and small fish to photograph. To shoot you may be best off going out deep, chumming, and hanging in the water Colum.
Sorry, cant recommend any charters.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
fishkilla
Slayographer

thanks for the help. not too worried about shooting fish. we just need a few fish and lobs for dinners. i'm mostly interested in getting some good underwater footage.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
RevolutionFD

Send a message via Skype™ to RevolutionFD

I heard people don't shore dive much on STT (or at least not on the south shore) due to the island being the ciguatera capital of the world.

There's a STT centric FB group called Virgin Island Freedivers you may want to check out.

STX has decent shore diving west of Cane Bay and on the west end, but very much fished out compared to Florida. You really need a boat on STX to access more sites (salt river, long reef, or the west end), or the walls.
RevolutionFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
SEATUX

I have been "snorkeling" the salt river MANY times, What are you saying??? Is that where you fine the boats to go out? I agree.
There is Nothing in the shallow salt river...but just beyond the breakers are Several well visited dive sites ( marked with perminate buoys ) . But still little to no fish ( to speak of) but a nice dive and some lobster.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
fishkilla
Slayographer

we are looking at Low Key Watersports on St. Johns Island as our place to get tanks and rent a boat. anyone heard of them and have any experience? anyone know of a good little two bedroom house on st. johns island for a 4 day rental?
Old 11-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
Marco

Very few fish in Saint Thomas don't have ciguatera. Be careful with what you eat there.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #10
RevolutionFD

Send a message via Skype™ to RevolutionFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I have been "snorkeling" the salt river MANY times, What are you saying??? Is that where you fine the boats to go out? I agree.
There is Nothing in the shallow salt river...but just beyond the breakers are Several well visited dive sites ( marked with perminate buoys ) . But still little to no fish ( to speak of) but a nice dive and some lobster.
Yep, you need a boat to get to the sites outside the breakers at Salt River. It's a canyon that runs perpendicular to the wall. They are called Salt River West, Salt River East, and Whitehorse Reef, all scuba sites with permanent markers (some blew away in Maria). We have gotten decent size snapper and ceros there.
RevolutionFD is offline   Reply With Quote