Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
fisherman.Ivan
100# Club

grunion run and halibuts

I was at moss and some guy told me to go for halibut during the grunion run. Currently I am a beginning spearo and if anybody can give me some tips on what i need to know, bring, a good spot, etc it would be extremely helpful. My friend and I want to go out this weekend and he has dive lights. Any tips would be so helpful. Thanks!
fisherman.Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
mokaction
Larry Caragay

Re: grunion run and halibuts

that is right no.. Grunion = Flatties.. Have fun..

Larry

I would rather be a has been then a never was!!
mokaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
mike_w

a nice dark sandy beach i think the tide books have the grunion run times
mike_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Mike Eberhardt
Colonel

Try the search function, halibut hunting has been discussed in great detail in more than one thread.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
sciencemike
MLPA ....

The timing of the runs has always been my problem.

For example just before last full moon of this month, I went out solo for a night dive. The fish werent supposed to be running, but the beach was covered. In close to shore there were rays and lots of sharks but I saw no legal halis. But sitting of the rock in about 20 foot of water was a nice hali.

Grunion runs are a nice way to see lots of life. Just keep your eye on your stringer.
sciencemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
apneanaut
Bryan

Send a message via AIM to apneanaut

Be persistant. Even when everything is just right sometimes they don't show. Sand bordering structure (reefs, piers, jetties) has always worked best for me. Good luck!
apneanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Bob Ballew

Although there is evidence that halibut will start showing up a day before a grunion run, I like the 2nd or 3rd day of a run, on an early (right at daybreak) dive with peak high tide just after I start hunting...this gives you the best chance of finding a concentration of halibut with the best visibility....flatties stuffed with bait will tend to lie out in the open until the sun hits the water, then, they will bury to avoid predators, making it harder to see them...look in sand pockets in the wavy grass, between or near rock reefs, under baitfish and in dips in the sand...a polespear is tough,,,gotta pin them to the sand and get your hand under the fish to grab your spear tip to prevent them from thrashing and getting off...a big halibut or sheepshead is very powerful and will spin the tip off a shaft, so always use pipe tape, epoxy or thread lok to jam the threads and prevent a spinoff...stick your halibut in the head with a knife to kill it asap or else you may get a good bite in the butt if you string it on your belt...been there, done that when I put a 30 pounder on my belt stringer without sticking it first....ouch...good luck...oh, one other tip...just prior to runs, grunion gather out in the deeper water...scouts go ashore to check conditions, then, the fish go in to lay eggs....during this time, you may find halibut under the grunion in 20 or 30' of water...usually, the bigger halibut will be out in deeper water although, at Catalina, I have seen imprints from 40 pound flatties up in 15' depths in some of the coves...in fact, good halibut diving at Catalina currently if you can get over there....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-20-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote