Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:18 AM   #1
Jefe13

Floats

I'm going to La Paz to spear dorado, wahoo and hopefully tuna. Is a Rob Allen 7 liter filled float large enough or should I purchase a bigger float. Thanks.
Jefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
diveincanada

Re: Floats

Same here, I'm interested to see what the feedback will be. I was there last summer with a 15L and it was find for the small Wahoos that we caught but I'm going back Oct 28th and I ordered a 30L.
7L is definitely to small.
Let's see what other members suggest.
IMO, 30L is the minimum...
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:40 AM   #3
Jefe13

Diveincanada

Did you have a guide or did you go out yourself? We are using 3 to figure whom we like the best (Palapas Ventana, Pistolerosdelmar & Sea Sniper). Have you speared with any of these guys? Also, do you know of a good restaurant to bring our fish? Thanks for your suggestions.
Jefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
Castronova
The Conch Republic

I have not used a ton of floats but have that 7L as well. I'm sure it will be good for even medium size wahoo and just about any Dorado.

Tuna is another story. Seems like you would want at least a 30L or 2ATM for tuna but I don't have that experience.

I've had 40# wahoo take down oral inflate floats to 10 - 15' or so for a split second but they always come back up.

If I were you I'd prepare for the biggest target. When I go to Mex I take the Riffe 2 ATM if it will fit.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #5
diveincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe13 View Post
Diveincanada

Did you have a guide or did you go out yourself? We are using 3 to figure whom we like the best (Palapas Ventana, Pistolerosdelmar & Sea Sniper). Have you speared with any of these guys? Also, do you know of a good restaurant to bring our fish? Thanks for your suggestions.
I went with Pistolerosdelmar and Palapas Ventana.

Pistolerosdelmar operates a boat from a trailer so he drives around and puts the boat in the water and off you go. But you need a place to stay in La Paz or Cabo.
I don't remember the name of the restaurants where Gozalo would bring us to eat the fish.
Palapas Ventana is more of a resort with the restaurant and they have the boats there. They will prepare and cook the fish for you. I'll be there Oct 28th !
Good luck !
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
Polespearo
Waterman

Hola everyone:

I have been living in La paz and spearfishing here and i would say that a 7l is too small, its almost like spearfishing with a reel as in you can get away with it even some wahoos (as most stay in the surface, but so many times we are in the water and something bug comes up that you shouldnt be not prepared for it)

As for the other question i am biased as i spearfish a lot with Pistoleros and it all comes down to what kind of plan you have. Send me a pm with your ideas and i can give you my thoughts but whatever you choose its a win win spearfishing in baja!

Restaurants in La paz i have a few you can bring fish and get served awesome meals like Odayaka sushi or Azul Marino/Nim
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote